Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scotsman in Texas - first time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Scotsman in Texas - first time pool owner

Hey,

I am a first time pool owner and someone who is not familiar with pools at all. I paid for a pool school from my local pool shop and i think i have the basics. Though the water testing looked a bit complicated and i need to order a new test kit. Any suggestions? I seen this company called PHin advertised as they can monitor the pool and send all the info to your phone, seemed pricey. I have a salt water pool which is about 2 years old i am told.

Also, one more thing would be how common is it to find living wolf spiders and maybe fishing spiders in your skimmers? I am finding them every time i clean it and it is freaking me out! I googled Texas spiders and these are the culprits. Any tips to stop this? I have the robot thingy as well which seems pretty decent for cleaning. All tips and experiences are really welcome - total beginner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scotsman in Texas - first time pool owner

Welcome to TFP! Test kit?... TF-100 no question (link below in my sig). You will be guaranteed great accuracy and reliable testing from home. It's not as hard as they make it seem, and we'll be glad to help if needed. The instructions in the kit are very good. As for those spiders .... well........ they love our water. I posted on your other thread as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

j4ck,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool and spider questions...

Actually that's not true as I know squat about spiders. But I do find them in my skimmers quite often.

Just wanted to say welcome from one Scotsman to another.. I was born in Bathgate near Edinburgh.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Welcome to TFP! Test kit?... TF-100 no question (link below in my sig). You will be guaranteed great accuracy and reliable testing from home. It's not as hard as they make it seem, and we'll be glad to help if needed. The instructions in the kit are very good. As for those spiders .... well........ they love our water. I posted on your other thread as well.
    Thanks, will take a look at that kit and get one ordered. It does seem confusing but i want to stay on top of it as we will use the pool a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    j4ck,

Welcome to TFP.. A Great resource for all your pool and spider questions...

Actually that's not true as I know squat about spiders. But I do find them in my skimmers quite often.

Just wanted to say welcome from one Scotsman to another.. I was born in Bathgate near Edinburgh.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.
    Ha thanks, i am from Glasgow so this pool game is a new one. As is dealing with Texas sized insects. I am actually now debating screening in the pool Florida style to ease my pain. The mrs who is a Native Texan thinks i am mental! ha.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have to agree, but that's ok, mental fits right in around here!

You'll get used to it, along with the Pit Vipers, Cactus, and heat that make it the Great state that it is.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

How about a bug vac? There are a number of such things available online.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir