Vote: Red or black?

Just my $.02, I've had problems in the past with both colors. The red always tends to get this white fungus on the underside. And living in the South, I've burned plants alive with the black mulch if it is in direct sunlight.
I will probably end up with cedar here since pine seems too acidic for some plants in the past. I'll have to stay away from general hardwood since we've got a LOT of termites around here.

No doubt. I think I am going to pick up 3 different bags (including brown) on my way home and lay em out and make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget a 4th sample of the 3/4" decorative stone...need to give that idea a fair hearing....Mother Gaia is watching you :suspect: :cyclopsani:

Mexican pebble is nice. I like the black polished grade but it gets expensive...

Can I vote "neither"? I think black or red will compete with your existing design elements. Do you want to "draw the eye" to your mulch or the fabulous pool/spa? Natural/dark brown mulch wouldn't be a distraction.

Gotta agree here. I'm anti-anything dyed for mulch. I like natural cedar mulch which goes gray in time. Gray is sort of like black, right??

Yip :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think I'd go with the color that hides vegetation that falls off your plants the best, so that's probably the brown color others have suggested. I can't imagine it ever being "maintenance free" with that much plant life, but it might make it look nicer with less constant effort if it's not as easy to see the dead stuff. And as others have already pointed out, it'll let your pool be the crown jewel of your beautiful back yard.

Well, the TFP crew challenged me to think outside of my little box. I also picked up a bag of brown and sure enough we like that best. It's dark enough for the defined contrast we are looking for but doesn't fight the pool as the main accent. The red was too overpowering and the black looks very artificial and will pick up every spec of debris. Will share final pics next week.

a36444341a92ae48ab40fa2f417bcc5d.jpg

d0e7127542ec3a1639cb27ae732d6149.jpg

If there are other options then I would say brown over the black. In our beds we filled them with Cypress first, then topped it off with a dark brown mulch for color. Personally, we like a dark color better than natural because it makes the flowers and plants "pop".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.