Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote: Red or black?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vote: Red or black?

It's the home stretch of landscaping. Red or black mulch for the rear landscape berm? We are going with grey Mexican pebbles in the bottle palm beds on each side of the spa and in the podocarpus privacy hedge line on the right side.

Sorry for the terrible pic but my windows need to be cleaned and the glare isn't helping.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vote: Red or black?

Brian,

I vote RED mulch...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can I vote "neither"? I think black or red will compete with your existing design elements. Do you want to "draw the eye" to your mulch or the fabulous pool/spa? Natural/dark brown mulch wouldn't be a distraction.
    IG ~12000 gallon 1988 freeform pool with IG spa, Hayward equip, Ecostar pump. Remodel done: NPT Arctic 1x2 tile in Lagoon w/ gray thinset & Light Pewter grout, French Gray PebbleSheen w/ grey fittings, Leuders buff eased edge limestone coping w/ Light Buff mortar, buff mastic

4. Back To Top    #4

Dyed mulch is Not good for the soil or plants plus it fades. Natural Pine bark mulch or needles is best.
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Kpag View Post
    Can I vote "neither"? I think black or red will compete with your existing design elements. Do you want to "draw the eye" to your mulch or the fabulous pool/spa? Natural/dark brown mulch wouldn't be a distraction.
    Sure can. It's not a bad idea. Our berm used to be the focal point. Certainly the pool and deck is now. But we do want some contrast between grass and berm to show defined flowing curves. We thought red would give us this but may fight the pool. The black will be less of a contrast but will offer more pop on the flowers and plants we've planted. Brown is kind of an in between but doesn't appeal to our transitional contemporary design preference.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, since none of the above is an option. I prefer shredded cedar mulch because it doesn't float and it naturally repels insects.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Black Mulch Dye in Pool

Colored mulch can dye the pool water if it gets in the pool.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all. I am pretty sure we are deciding between red and black tho. Either will be dyed, but the mulch will be 12+ feet from the pool and also separate by plant material, aluminum edging and stone beds. So while there is a thread in an extreme case, it's highly unlikely to affect the pool.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, dyed mulch is no bueno....do what we do in the southwest desert here - rip out all the wasteful water-intensive grass that requires endless care and fertilization (bad for Mother Gaia!!), grade it all with decomposed granite and top it with 3/4" (no minus) decorative rock!! You can even add plastic landscape barrier and do different rock colors in a mosaic pattern. Snake shapes are easy to make. Or a nice "happy sunshine" shape.

No water or fertilizer required and your carbon footprint will be minimized!!

You can give Mother Gaia a hug with your landscape project and be a good earth-citizen!

Or, ya know, if you want to be wasteful and destroy the planet for future generation, I guess cedar mulch is ok....

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Yeah, dyed mulch is no bueno....do what we do in the southwest desert here - rip out all the wasteful water-intensive grass that requires endless care and fertilization (bad for Mother Gaia!!), grade it all with decomposed granite and top it with 3/4" (no minus) decorative rock!! You can even add plastic landscape barrier and do different rock colors in a mosaic pattern. Snake shapes are easy to make. Or a nice "happy sunshine" shape.

No water or fertilizer required and your carbon footprint will be minimized!!

You can give Mother Gaia a hug with your landscape project and be a good earth-citizen!

Or, ya know, if you want to be wasteful and destroy the planet for future generation, I guess cedar mulch is ok....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dang, Matt. Tell me how you really feel. I suppose I can still tell my landscaper to put the 7 pallets of sod back onto the truck.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ha, you probably get plenty of rain there. It is Matt's fault he chose to live in the desert with about an inch of rain a year.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I think Matt was joking. The multiple exclamation marks are not his normal style. Nor is chanting to Gaia unless he is on one of his legendary benders. The cohesiveness of his post tells me he likely isn't though.

I do think you are underestimating the chances of runoff getting in your pool, so if you are going with a dyed mulch I would go red so you can easily identify if it happens.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by grumpiebk View Post
    Dang, Matt. Tell me how you really feel. I suppose I can still tell my landscaper to put the 7 pallets of sod back onto the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nooooooooo....Mother Gaia is shedding a little tear ....

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Ha, you probably get plenty of rain there. It is Matt's fault he chose to live in the desert with about an inch of rain a year.
    10 inches.....TEN. INCHES.

(And only 92" of evaporation annually!!)

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    I think Matt was joking. The multiple exclamation marks are not his normal style. Nor is chanting to Gaia unless he is on one of his legendary benders. The cohesiveness of his post tells me he likely isn't though.

I do think you are underestimating the chances of runoff getting in your pool, so if you are going with a dyed mulch I would go red so you can easily identify if it happens.
    After a day with 4 kids, the benders are a given....

Matt

15. Back To Top    #15

I vote black.

16. Back To Top    #16

I vote cedar mulch too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

17. Back To Top    #17

I vote neither. Go natural. We like native hardwood mulch because it doesn't float away. I didn't know that about dyed mulch so I'm glad we aren't using it.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

please not red Your landscaping looks perfect in the photo. I love the look of dark brown mulch and have it in my front flower bed, but just natural non-dyed hardwood mulch is best.
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by sham View Post
    please not red Your landscaping looks perfect in the photo. I love the look of dark brown mulch and have it in my front flower bed, but just natural non-dyed hardwood mulch is best.
    Do you have a pic?

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

how about a 2" layer of compost it starts out black, will lighten a bit to a black greay over a season helps with water retension and if/when it starts to get too shabby looking you just lightly till it in and add a bit more.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast