Supporting PVC for AGP

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Gang,

I've been staring at my flex-hose plumbing a lot recently, visualizing how I'm going to run my PVC piping when I hard-plumb it, and have a question; wouldn't I be better off to run the PVC from the skimmer and the returns to the ground so that the piping gets some support? My concern is the weight of the piping plus the water flowing through it possibly putting undue stress on the skimmer and return connections. I don't plan on burying it, but do plan on it resting on the ground. Or better yet, putting a "T" fitting in near ground to use as a combination 90 degree elbow and a support?

Thoughts??

Mike, having it rest on the ground will be better :goodjob: However, this also holds true of the hoses you now have :shock: The flex-hoses move when pressurized and can loosen the connections - the pvc will be more expensive and require unions to be able to disconnect them for the winter.

Also think about the stress on the wall panel if the pipe is not supported :wink:

If you need any help with this, feel free to ask me 8)

(THANKS for all you do as a mod :bowdown: )

My DH built some support brackets with 2x4s for a few spots. Is it the prettiest setup on the block? No and Yes - it's functional, tidier than all the prior flex hoses, not asthetically pleasing but we are the ONLY pool on the block (15 miles in either direction actually!) so we win the beauty contest anyway.

NWMNMom said:
My DH built some support brackets with 2x4s for a few spots. Is it the prettiest setup on the block? No and Yes - it's functional, tidier than all the prior flex hoses, not asthetically pleasing but we are the ONLY pool on the block (15 miles in either direction actually!) so we win the beauty contest anyway.
NWMNMom, can you get a pic of the supports? I think all would be interested!
Thanks
Mike

Going to the ground with the pipe will need more elbows, making more resistance, right? I avoided that by keeping everything in line with the pump for a straight shot, then placing a 4x4 post underneath the piping in strategic places.

I'v only had the plumbing there for a few days, so I don't know how well that is going to work. Perhaps some straps directly on top of the wooden blocks would help.

IMO flex looks neater than pvc. At lreast mine looks ugly.

I love the difference in function though. 2" pvc > 1.5" flex...

True, adding elbows does increase your head loss, but I would think it'd be negligible, given the short piping runs and the minimal # of elbows (3 or 4).

Aesthetics really doesn't bother me. The possibility of a hose blowing off or hitting one with the weedeater bothers me. Plus, playing with PVC is fun! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.