New to pool care. Could use some help!

K.C

Mar 22, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Read through the forums, ordered and just received the TF100 kit today. Below is what I have after the first test this evening.
* Pool was drained and replaced with new water a month ago.
* Pool size: 19000 gallons

FC: 0
CC: 0
TC: 0
PH: 8.2
TA: 150
CH: 500
CYA: 25
Borates: 0
Temp: 79F

Should I start with bleach and muratic acid? Or look towards shocking the pool?

KC,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions... :shark:

Good job on getting great test kit, but you can't stop there.. You really need to read our "Pool School" link at the top of this page..

You need to do two things.. (All explained in our Pool School)

1. Add enough Liquid Chlorine/Bleach to bring your FC up to 5 or 6 ppm... Have you seen this chart, which is part of pool school? https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

2. You also need to add enough Muriatic Acid to lower your pH to around 7.5 or so.

How do you know how much to add?? Easy.. use our Pool Math link at the top of this page... Enter your pool size, current readings, and goal (where you want to be).

Do not do both of these things at one time, allow about an half hour between the FC adjustment and the pH adjustment, with the pump running of course.

As a side note... we NEVER shock a pool... Since converting to the TFP process I have not shocked my pool in over three years..

Thanks for posting... If you want to be able to do this, you have to go back to school... Pool School that is... :cool:

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.