New owner of used pool can't figure out odd winter plugs

Jun 16, 2009
Western CT
Hi,

I have searched the internet for hours and could not find any info.

I bought a house with a pool and tried to open it myself. All is well except I can't get the water returning from the pump to the pool. There was a round clear plastic plug on the deep end, I removed it and broke it during removal (screw in, has 2 dimples for tools which I noticed AFTER I broke it). Now there is some sort of glass fiber rope sticking out of a little screw-on nozzle. I am afraid to pull the rope out as it does not want to come out easily. The pool outlet looks like the one on the top left:

wall_fittings.gif

And there is a loose nozzle on the end of a glass fiber rope going into it. And no
water coming out of it :(

Should I yank this rope thing out? what is it?

The Mermaid Queen said:
Someonw will be along shortly who can help you.

I just wanted to say Welcome to TFP!

THANKS!!!

I'm really late opening the pool as we are just moving in. The water is pretty ugly so I would like to get the filter running soon... then i will DE-BAQUAGOOP the pool, I have three 5 gallon carboys of chlorine ready to pounce.

Welcome to TFP!!

I hate to tell you this but ... that's your pool light :shock: You've got Fiberstar or similar and that is the cover for your fiber optic lighting :oops: You probably also have some ~3/8" whitish rope all around the perimiter, it's also the fiber optic lighting. DO NOT YANK IT OUT :hammer:

The good news is that the light should still work (there's no power passing through the fibers), however the plastic piece is also the lens and if the light source is below water you may now have a leak :(

We've got a box of old fiber optic stuff at work - I'll TRY to remember to see if a lens is in there - in the meantime, if there is a leak, put a regular plug in there 8)

Wow, fiber optic light, that makes sense!!!

here is a picture I took with my I-Phone.

the pool does not seem to be leaking...

I guess the filter return line is elsewhere, it's so dirty I can't find it, I wonder how deep it might be???

poolthing.jpg

and the broken lens:

plug.jpg

Glad I did not yank too hard!!!

I also have some really ugly whitish rope around the perimiter, I guess I have to test the pool lights when it's dark out and see what happens.

THANKS!!!

Sorry I missed posting yesterday (worked 13 hours :evil: ) The returns are usually ~ 14 1/2" below the coping - you can use your wall brush to feel along the walls for them 8)

I also forgot to see if we still have a lens :oops: (my regular partner was out sick and I had to worry about more things than I usually do to make sure we were stocked for the day :| ) I'll try to remember to look for one next time I work (looks like 4 days of rain here in Ct :rant: )

Find the returns and get that pool circulating and shock it hard!

the return was a big rectangle RIGHT UNDER the skimmer... odd.. it was plugged so I unplugged it and the pool is running!

the baqcacil was very low so shocking the pool with chlorine did not make any funny colors.

The lighting system is FIBERSTARS. I could not get the light on, there is a big light on top of the fiberstar unit near the pool and it would not come on, maybe needs a new bulb.

Time to check the levels in the pool, hope we can get it cleaned up as it's NASTY...

thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
waste said:
I found a lens for Fiberstars :whoot: It's not the same dome one you ruined, but should still work - if you'd like me to send it to you, PM me a mailing address and you should have it by next weekend 8)

Ted,

THANKS SO MUCH!!! It looks perfect!!!

This is the best forum I have ever seen, I hope that I will be able to help people out once I have some experience with my pool.

Thanks again!

excondoguy said:
the return was a big rectangle RIGHT UNDER the skimmer... odd.. it was plugged so I unplugged it and the pool is running!

the baqcacil was very low so shocking the pool with chlorine did not make any funny colors.

The lighting system is FIBERSTARS. I could not get the light on, there is a big light on top of the fiberstar unit near the pool and it would not come on, maybe needs a new bulb.

Time to check the levels in the pool, hope we can get it cleaned up as it's NASTY...

thanks again!

Aquagenie! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.