Draining Pool to Rid CYA and DE

You don't have to drain all the pool at once. If you are not sure how high the water table is drain about 1/2, refill and drain 1/2 again until you get the CYA where you want it. The DE should vacuum up.

While the water is low, if you have a built-in pool light, don't forget to remove the light from its niche and spray any gunk/crud out that has accumulated back there. I had a lot of nastiness I removed when I drained my new to me pool last year.

Hello TFP'ers,

We are emptying our 5600 gal. tiled pool tomorrow. We had a DE leak that has been fixed and cya levels over 400ppm. Other than hosing down the tiles, anything else we should do to prepare for refilling.
Thank you.
Wow - how did you let your CYA level get so high? That is extremely high. You are going to have to drain more than half the pool. Your pool is pretty small so it won't take much to refill.

I have no idea the hazards of a pool popping out of the ground if you empty it. Maybe others can chime in on what to expect and how long you can go with it empty??? With a pool that size and CYA that high, I would drain 90% of it but be concerned about the pool floating. Good luck.

I always get nervous about emptying pools in FL, just imagining all the ground water issues there (springs, lakes, etc) Is your pool plaster or fiberglass??

Be careful and get it filled again quickly.
+1

I would be very concerned with the pool floating. Could you dig a small hole near the pool? See how deep you can dig before hitting water. I will bet it's only a few feet.

One approach which is not commonly mentioned but effective, if you have a tarp or plastic much bigger than the pool in all directions, is the simultaneous pump and fill method (or tarp method). Place tarp/plastic on the water surface and overlapping onto the deck all around. Pump from below the cover and fill on top of the plastic/tarp at roughly equal rates. The water doesn't mix because the water you add presses the plastic to the pool walls creating a decent seal. There was a fantastic documentation of this in a thread (used for pumping a swamp) for a guy who didn't want to risk popping his shell/floating his liner. Here it is: https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/52373-Foreclosure-Swamp-in-Pensacola-Florida!/page3#p449932

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.