Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool to Rid CYA and DE

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool to Rid CYA and DE

Hello TFP'ers,

We are emptying our 5600 gal. tiled pool tomorrow. We had a DE leak that has been fixed and cya levels over 400ppm. Other than hosing down the tiles, anything else we should do to prepare for refilling.
    Thank you.
    Ron (H2o) Burd

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Draining Pool to Rid CYA and DE

Hope. Hope it doesn't pop out of the ground, that's about all I can think of. Maybe if you have some staining, now would be a good time to take care of it.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Bob. Our fingers are crossed.
    Ron (H2o) Burd

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't have to drain all the pool at once. If you are not sure how high the water table is drain about 1/2, refill and drain 1/2 again until you get the CYA where you want it. The DE should vacuum up.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

While the water is low, if you have a built-in pool light, don't forget to remove the light from its niche and spray any gunk/crud out that has accumulated back there. I had a lot of nastiness I removed when I drained my new to me pool last year.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by H2Oburd View Post
    Hello TFP'ers,

We are emptying our 5600 gal. tiled pool tomorrow. We had a DE leak that has been fixed and cya levels over 400ppm. Other than hosing down the tiles, anything else we should do to prepare for refilling.
    Thank you.
    Wow - how did you let your CYA level get so high? That is extremely high. You are going to have to drain more than half the pool. Your pool is pretty small so it won't take much to refill.

I have no idea the hazards of a pool popping out of the ground if you empty it. Maybe others can chime in on what to expect and how long you can go with it empty??? With a pool that size and CYA that high, I would drain 90% of it but be concerned about the pool floating. Good luck.
    36,000 gallon IG Gunite (40 x 20), 1.5 HP Hayward pump, Pentair Nautilus NS-48 DE filter, 2 skimmers, 12 - (2 x 20) Fafco Solar Panels (Goldline controller not hooked up yet), Hayward Swimpure Plus SWG, Blue Pearl Robot cleaner. New Dr. Wellness X-12 standalone Lifestyle Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

I always get nervous about emptying pools in FL, just imagining all the ground water issues there (springs, lakes, etc) Is your pool plaster or fiberglass??

Be careful and get it filled again quickly.
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I always get nervous about emptying pools in FL, just imagining all the ground water issues there (springs, lakes, etc) Is your pool plaster or fiberglass??

Be careful and get it filled again quickly.
    +1

I would be very concerned with the pool floating. Could you dig a small hole near the pool? See how deep you can dig before hitting water. I will bet it's only a few feet.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

One approach which is not commonly mentioned but effective, if you have a tarp or plastic much bigger than the pool in all directions, is the simultaneous pump and fill method (or tarp method). Place tarp/plastic on the water surface and overlapping onto the deck all around. Pump from below the cover and fill on top of the plastic/tarp at roughly equal rates. The water doesn't mix because the water you add presses the plastic to the pool walls creating a decent seal. There was a fantastic documentation of this in a thread (used for pumping a swamp) for a guy who didn't want to risk popping his shell/floating his liner. Here it is: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thre.../page3#p449932
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!