Some water going to backwash while push pull valve should be closed

Aug 14, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
Hi everyone, just realized that my sand filter seems to be leaking into the backwash while it's filtering. I have a push pull valve, and found a few videos on youtube suggesting the o-rings might need to be replaced.

Is this probably the issue, from those with experience? I don't know the brand filter (inherited when we got the house), but if I get the new 2 o-rings and some lubricant I should be able to just pop new ones on and it'll fix the issue? Doesn't seem like the valves are that much more complicated, and I'd rather not call a pool guy unless it's something serious. If I can fix it for 20 bucks vs. 100 or whatever most pool guys charge at a minimum I'd be happy.

Thanks!

Hi everyone, just realized that my sand filter seems to be leaking into the backwash while it's filtering. I have a push pull valve, and found a few videos on youtube suggesting the o-rings might need to be replaced.

Is this probably the issue, from those with experience? I don't know the brand filter (inherited when we got the house), but if I get the new 2 o-rings and some lubricant I should be able to just pop new ones on and it'll fix the issue? Doesn't seem like the valves are that much more complicated, and I'd rather not call a pool guy unless it's something serious. If I can fix it for 20 bucks vs. 100 or whatever most pool guys charge at a minimum I'd be happy.

Thanks!

I found this on Amazon, seems to be what I'd want:

https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-Filter-Slide-SP410X-Rebuild/dp/B007OJTHPE/ref=pd_sbs_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B007OJTHPE&pd_rd_r=MEEED1CKRX4DVANQJBFV&pd_rd_w=QVl7S&pd_rd_wg=wwrMW&psc=1&refRID=MEEED1CKRX4DVANQJBFV

Not thinking I'd need to replace the actual valve assembly, right? It does appear to be Hayward as well though, these pics seem to be like what I have.

SPX0410BA - Hayward - HANDLE AND PISTON ASSEMBLY is this your piston assembly? There are two piston O rings one larger than the other so you should easily see where they go

I really think so, it looks exactly like that and I can't imagine there are a lot of different models. My filter and everything has no labels on it (the paper label has long since faded) and I inherited this pool when we bought the house. I'll take another look at the rings when it's not dark out and i can fully remove the assembly. I was thinking of seeing if the pool places nearby have them, or just order on amazon, not sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.