Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing failed heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing failed heater

I have a Starite 333k BTU on order and I'm taking it on this weekend after the local pool company told me that total installed price would be $3100. I got it on amazon for $1989. I told my pool company that I would be ok with $500 more than that if they wanted to do it and it should be an easy swap since that is the exact replacement unit. He came down $180. I really wanted the warranty, but I'm such a DIY'er that I don't think its worth nearly $1000. That could potentially pay for 3-4 repairs. Anyway now that I'm doing it I want to do it right and minimize my chances of failure. I've attached a couple pictures of my pump area and plumbing. It looks like there wasn't a check valve installed last time. I'm looking for advice on what to change, where to put the check valve, and the best way to install a heater bypass and what type of valves to use. Any advice is appreciated. Oh I don't plan on using the tablet chlorinator except for when I'm on vacation and away from the pool for an extended period. Thanks!

P.S.
    I know the Raypak is highly recommended here and I didn't go with it mainly due to size of the heater. Also since I'm doing a self install I wanted it as straight forward as it could be and direct replacement made sense.
    IMG_1680.jpgIMG_1681.jpg
    IG 20k Gunite Chlorine
    StaRite Max EPro 1HP Filter Pump, Booster Pump for Polaris 380, 1HP Water Feature Pump
    Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing failed heater

Place the check on the outlet line of the heater. You don't have much room here so there isnt much choice in that. If the heater coming is the same height/orientation, the bypass should be pretty straightforward. I like having a heater bypass very much myself, and it wont be that much extra effort on this setup.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Re: Replacing failed heater

Make sure they use a corrosion resistant check valve,Pentair-R172288-Corrosion-Resistant-Replacement or magicplastics.com/cr2-corrosion-resistant-check-valves/