Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Privacy screen plants for pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Privacy screen plants for pool?

Hi, our pool was built a few weeks ago and we are in the process of finding a landscaper. We are in Houston, climate zone 9, and need some suggestions for a simple privacy screen of plants/shrubs.

We need something easy to maintain (i.e. mostly just water and go) that won't freeze, and won't shed into the pool, that'll grow to at least 8 feet in height. I really don't like palms, so we're not considering that.

I really wanted just a row of emerald green arborvitaes along our fence, but was told that didn't grow well in our area.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, or if you happen to have pictures, that would be great as well!! Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JuYuHu; 03-22-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Trying to delete
    First time pool owner
    21K IG; quartz plaster finish
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Polaris 280; Completed Feb. 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

Privacy screen plants for pool?

Hi, our pool was built a few weeks ago and we are in the process of finding a landscaper. We are in Houston, climate zone 9, and need some suggestions for a simple privacy screen of plants/shrubs.

We need something easy to maintain (i.e. mostly just water and go) that won't freeze, and won't shed into the pool, that'll grow to at least 8 feet in height. I really don't like palms, so we're not considering that.

I really wanted just a row of emerald green arborvitaes along our fence, but was told that didn't grow well in our area.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know, or if you happen to have pictures, that would be great as well!! Thanks in advance!
    First time pool owner
    Pentair 1HP Whisperflo pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter; Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Privacy screen plants for pool?

I posted this in the everything else category - tried to delete this but didn't know how.
    First time pool owner

4. Back To Top    #4

I live in Ohio but am pretty sure "ornamental grasses" of some type would work. Up north they require no care during growing season, don't attract bugs or get infected with fungus or disease. They grow fast to their determined height. The only downside is up here in spring I have to cut back to 12in to get rid of dead growth.
    Rick, Fiberglass.....14 x 30 Viking Laguna - 10,000 gal. Pentair cartridge filter, gas heater, Swg, variable speed pump, Easytouch control system.
    k2006c, k1766

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Viburnum would be a good choice. Grows tall and little maintenance. They are highly tolerant of heat, drought and wind. We use them in FL and I think they would be good in TX.
    Paul
    Gastek Pool & Gas Services If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. Gastek Google review,
    Check out some videos on my YouTube channel - Gastekservices on YouTube

6. Back To Top    #6

Nellie R Stevens Hollies are great, grow pyramid shaped. Eagleton holly or savannah holly, those can be full to ground or with a trunk. Or Spartan juniper. I prefer the holly, less chance of bagworms and disease.
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am in Richmond, Tx and we have these along our fence. Not sure what they are but they grow really fast. These are probably 8 feet tall and I pay no special attention to them other than cutting them back about 2 times a year. They do shed but IMHO they are not that bad.

Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

8. Back To Top    #8

I also like Little gem magnolias.
    17K gallon, 18x40, 107 perimeter, 550 sq ft gunite inground pool with raised spa. 3.5 ft. - 5.0 ft. - 4.0 ft depth. Pentair equipment. DE filter. English Walnut travertine paver decking, lueders limestone coping. Wet Edge Primera Stone Sapphire Treasure plaster.

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, these are dense! Thanks for the reference!
    First time pool owner

10. Back To Top    #10

Here are some suggestions.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!