Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG for vinyl liner in-ground pools with metal walls???

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG for vinyl liner in-ground pools with metal walls???

I am getting mixed reviews online and was hoping for some advise. I am considering switching to a Salt Water Generator system for my 28,000 vinyl liner in-ground pool. The wall is metal. some online forums say no due to metal frame, others say not an issue. What is your advise? thank you in advance.
    28K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump SP2607X10 1HP, YR Built 2004, K-2005 Test Kit and FAS-DPD Kit, city water no restrictions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG for vinyl liner in-ground pools with metal walls???

I'm installing a new pool right now...vinyl with steel walls. I'm going salt.

Walls are going to rust...not just from chlorinated water but from ground water and moisture. From what I read, just keep your PH in balance and you'll be fine.
    18'x36' vinyl - 24k gal - Intelliflo 3hp VSP - Pentair C&C 420 cartridge filter - IC40 Salt - EasyTouch 8 - ScreenLogic - Raypak 406btu NG heater - Intellibrite 5G ligths - 4 deck jets - sheer descent - X-Stream Slide 2 - TF100 kit - opened spring 2017

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: SWG for vinyl liner in-ground pools with metal walls???

All pools have salt in them. All forms of chlorine, muriatic acid, people and tap water all add salt to a pool. It is not uncommon for a pool to have 1000 ppm of salt in it after a couple of years. Saltwater pools usually have 2800-3200 ppm salt in them, human tears have 9000 ppm salt and ocean water has 35,000 ppm salt.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach