Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie - Best Source for Calcium Chloride?

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie - Best Source for Calcium Chloride?

Hi, I am a new pool owner and am just about done shocking my pool. According to the pool calculator, I need to add approximately 85 lbs of calcium chloride. Looking online for bulk sales, I see that I can find 50lb bags of Dowflakes (83-87%) for about $10 each. Are these suitable sources? I can also find 20 lb bags of "high purity" calcium chloride for about $25 each. Additionally there are bags of snow melt pellets for a variety of prices.

Are any of these suitable for use in a pool? If not, what should I be looking for?

Thanks for your help.

FC - 15 ppm
    CC - 0 ppm
    pH - 7.2
    TA - 70 ppm
    CH - 180 ppm
    CA - ~60 ppm

1) ~60,000 Gallons
    2) Sand Filter
    3) In-Ground Pool
    4) Plaster/Concrete bottom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie - Best Source for Calcium Chloride?

Dowflake is great. That is what many of the pool store brands actually contain. Snow melt pellets sometimes have additional ingredients you don't want, which need to be checked before you buy them.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Newbie - Best Source for Calcium Chloride?

If you can find Tetra brand it is actually higher purity than Dowflake (which, to cut costs, changed their manufacturing process and the bromide levels are now higher in their product--nothing that a little bit of sum light and some chlorine won't take care of in a week or two!)