Sand Filter channeling?

Nov 21, 2016
Melbourne, FL
Not sure what to think.

I have a Hayward S244T sand filter, and it is about 5 1/2 years old. Occasionally when it first starts running, I get a fine white particulate coming out of my returns for about 10-15 minutes. I freshly backwashed it hard (like 4 minutes), and rinsed. I'm still getting this smoke looking cloud coming out of the returns on occasion.

Could this be channeling? If so, how should I clear it out?

I'm going to pull off the top tonight and make sure there isn't crack in the internal return pipe, blowing the filtered material on the top of the sand stack back into the returns.

I think you need to identify the "smoke". Find the source and your issues should be over.

A deep cleaning of the filter may help you learn more about where that smoke is coming from.

Wow, chalk another one up for TFP, y'all should take donations or something. :)

It took about an hour and a half, and it felt never ending, but suddenly the water started flowing clear. We'll see how well this works.

My "clean" pressure went from 9PSI to 11PSI, so I figure there must have been a little channeling going on.

No Luck. :-(

I woke up this morning to white clouds coming out of my returns. The particles are too small to be sand filter media, so I don't believe it is a bad drain lateral. Not sure if I should just go ahead and replace the filter media. I cleaned for an hour and a half last night and the water was coming out clear.

Any thoughts?

I don't know what you wallet looks like but I have taken the sand out of my filter using a shop vac and putting it in the wheelbarrow to do an EXTRA deep clean and so I could look at my lateral and pipe. This will save you money and allow you to inspect everything up close.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Laterals and pipe were perfect, however I did notice that the pipe was about an inch lower once I set the assembly back in. The sand I removed had rounded edges, and the sand I added had sharper edges.

My filter manual has conflicting information, the manual and label say it takes 300 lbs of sand and thats what I added. However the manual also says the sand bed should be 6" from the top of the filter, and it is more like 12" from the rim that the valve mounts on. I am a little perplexed.

OH man! Your hands and shoulders and arms have to be wore out! OUCH!

So how does your lateral and pipe look? Any breaks or cracks?

Hummmmmm that is perplexing! I think I would call Hayward and ask them. I do wonder if your sand poundage was correct and that is why they say 6" from the top. I would ask them exactly what they call the top so you know where to measure to.

I should call them, they will probably give me some odd-ball canned phone support answer. The person who answers the call probably doesn't actually own the product, and knows nothing about it other than what it says in a manual.

I filtered this Fibre-Tech surface through this filter for 5 years, hopefully a new bed of sand will give me better performance. I did notice an issue with my multi-port valve, when I put it in "recirculation" it started to drain to waste after a minute or so.....

Hummmmmm that is perplexing! I think I would call Hayward and ask them. I do wonder if your sand poundage was correct and that is why they say 6" from the top. I would ask them exactly what they call the top so you know where to measure to.

Did you fill the filter 1/2 full of water before loading in the sand?

As far as the multiport valve, you may need to check the spider gasket for wear and that it is securely attached to the valve. There should not be any water coming out of the waste line on recirculate.

Yeah, I figured the spider gasket is worn. However on these hayward multi-port valves it looks like you have to replace the entire "diverter key". I looked around for a gasket to no avail. From what I can tell, the gasket is adhered to a flat surface, not recessed into a channel like my first filter was.

Did you fill the filter 1/2 full of water before loading in the sand?

As far as the multiport valve, you may need to check the spider gasket for wear and that it is securely attached to the valve. There should not be any water coming out of the waste line on recirculate.

With respect to the sand, I e-mailed Hayward and here is what they said.

Dear Xxxxx,

Thank you for your e-mail.

As far as the Filter
goes all you need to do is add the appropriate amount of sand (300
lbs) after you do so you will disregard if it is above or beyond the
6'' mark as long as you add the proper amount you should be good to
go.

Thank You,
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Xxx[/FONT]

Hayward Technical Services
One Hayward Industrial Drive
Clemmons, NC (USA) 27012
908-355-7995

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.