Pump doesn't prime anymore after I connected a manual cleaner

angwol

Mar 21, 2017
avondale AZ
Hi everyone,

My pump was priming good until I decided to connect a manual cleaner while the pump was running. The flow lowered due to air in the hoses I connected but the pump never prime after that. Once I finished cleaning the pool I disconnected the manual cleaner and set every thing back as normal but prime wouldn't prime anymore. Did I messed up something?

20K gallon IG plaster. 1.5HP Northstar Hayward pump one speed, sand filter. Build 2003. Barracuda MX8

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

My pump was priming good until I decided to connect a manual cleaner while the pump was running. The flow lowered due to air in the hoses I connected but the pump never prime after that. Once I finished cleaning the pool I disconnected the manual cleaner and set every thing back as normal but prime wouldn't prime anymore. Did I messed up something?

Does your pump have flex hose or hard plumbing? If flex you can start at pump and pick up hose above pool level which will "burp" the hose. Just work from pump to skimmer a coupl times. This will often serve to prime the pump. Otherwise you can remove the cover from strainer to get rid of air and put it back on with a little water loss. Then start pump

Yes it did pick up some debris while manual cleaning. I let it prime but I noticed that the skimmer only gets half full even after I filled it myself prior. The water flow is very low and it seems as it would never get full completely.

Couple of possible culprits: clogged impeller or a blockage. I had this problem recently, and it ended up being a blockage in the suction side. I took the pump apart to make sure the impeller was completely clear. Then I bought a Drain King and let that go to work on the pipes. The amount of leaves it blew out of there was amazing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is all that white stuff on your filter?

I am not sure how you can see inside that pump basket. If 409 or something like that doesn't clean it up, you should clean it with 3:1 muriatic acid

remove the pump basket lid and clean with some type of 409 or detergent. When dry, mix a 3:1 solution of muriatic and water and pour it onto the UPSIDE DOWN lid in your driveway or somewhere where the acid will do no harm. It'll clean off that scale.

Why is your filter leaking out the top?

its not leaking but i had troubles with the pump priming since before. I had to replace several pieces, and so every time i try to make the pump prime I open the air valve in top of the filter to left the air go. trying to help the pump prime. I read that's what you do when trying to prime the pump

Have you tried priming the pump with the suction valve closing the vacuum pipe? I would try that first. You can also remove the screws on that valve and remove the diverter inside to see if you can clear the clog.

Its working good now, I did clean up inside the valve, thanks. Question should i let the pump prime by itself or should I continue opening the air release?
Also as you notice in the picture of how my filter is to perform a deep clean on the filter I need to disconnect the filter from the pipes altogether? do I close the two holes? what's the best way to deep clean my type of filter?

I saw the videos and all but I still have one question. My filter has two openings on the body of the filter itself where the filter on the video does not. The in and outs of water are done through the valve. So how its it done with my type of filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.