Measuring chemicals...

Sep 30, 2016
Alamo, CA
I'm going to be buying chemicals online and in bulk, so I'll need to find ways to measure them out when putting them in the pool. Been using this for a while for things like muriatic acid, liquid chlorine, and anything else for volume and it's worked well. For weight, I have no idea what to use. So I'd like to know a couple of things.

• What are you using for volume?
  • Is what I'm using for volume ok for the chemicals we deal with?
  • What are you using for weight?
  • What would you recommend that will be fairly precise for low weight (0-20 lbs)?

Thanks!

RIch, I'm curious which chemicals you need so much of that you're going to buy in bulk?

The biggest thing I ever use (and not that often at that) is buying the 7# Arm and Hammer baking soda from Costco's baking goods aisle. And its lasted two years or more.

Yippee :flower:

I use a plastic measuring cup for bleach & a jewelers/craft scale for CYA. I have another plastic measuring cup for MA, but I haven't had to use it yet :cool:
Yes, that is fine for volume. For weight use a cheap kitchen scale, 20 bucks or less.
Ok, cool. Yeah, I was thinking some cheap kitchen scale would be fine, but just wanted to hear it from you guys first.

RIch, I'm curious which chemicals you need so much of that you're going to buy in bulk?
The combination of unusually large, constant storms and drainage issues have forced me to slam more than I should be and required rebalancing afterwards. It's really not that much chemicals I'm going to buy. It's just more than what I'd normally get from local stores and at a much better price.

I would say that for the most part that scales aren't necessary. Chemical additions aren't that critical to get exact. Estimating should be close enough.

If you have a 50 lb bag and want to add 10 lbs, it should be close enough to just use about 1/5 of the bag.

The only chemical I use the kitchen scale for is cyanuric acid (the wife gets annoyed with me measuring chemicals but, oh well...). I will put a sock in a larger container and then fill it up with two pounds of CYA. I usually have to add between 2 and 4 lbs per year so I like to be a little bit exact with it. Other than that, everything else solid-wise is estiamted (boric acid and DE).

I would say that for the most part that scales aren't necessary. Chemical additions aren't that critical to get exact. Estimating should be close enough.
Other than that, everything else solid-wise is estiamted (boric acid and DE).
:p I hear you guys. I really do and I'm positive you're correct in that it's good enough. It's just not my personality to roll like that and, so, measuring tools will be used. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If you have a 50 lb bag and want to add 10 lbs, it should be close enough to just use about 1/5 of the bag.
I could see this being true for much larger pools.

In my 6700 gallon pool it only takes 9oz to add 10ppm to CYA (& 7oz of 12.5% to add 1ppm to FC). I bought a cheap digital scale off eBay for about $8, the 2lb max works fine for my pool. I think I only used the scale twice last season, I use the measuring cup every day for FC.

Besides, there's something about measuring out accurate chemical additions that appeals to the nerd in me, just like the Speed Stir does! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.