Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Measuring chemicals...

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Measuring chemicals...

I'm going to be buying chemicals online and in bulk, so I'll need to find ways to measure them out when putting them in the pool. Been using this for a while for things like muriatic acid, liquid chlorine, and anything else for volume and it's worked well. For weight, I have no idea what to use. So I'd like to know a couple of things.

• What are you using for volume?
    • Is what I'm using for volume ok for the chemicals we deal with?
    • What are you using for weight?
    • What would you recommend that will be fairly precise for low weight (0-20 lbs)?

Thanks!
    Rich - 21k gal IG pool/spa, pebble, completed Sept 2016, no water restrictions
    - Hayward: EcoStar pump, SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter, T-CELL-9 sanitizer, H400FDN heater, ProLogic controller
    - Acc: Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Black Max F5B cleaner, Hayward 6060 booster pump, Taylor K-2006/K-1766

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Measuring chemicals...

Yes, that is fine for volume. For weight use a cheap kitchen scale, 20 bucks or less.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

RIch, I'm curious which chemicals you need so much of that you're going to buy in bulk?

The biggest thing I ever use (and not that often at that) is buying the 7# Arm and Hammer baking soda from Costco's baking goods aisle. And its lasted two years or more.

Yippee
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    RIch, I'm curious which chemicals you need so much of that you're going to buy in bulk? ..........
    +1

I use a plastic measuring cup for bleach & a jewelers/craft scale for CYA. I have another plastic measuring cup for MA, but I haven't had to use it yet
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

PoolMath shows chem additions in both weight and volume for powders, which might be useful in a pinch.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, K-1106 and CCL test kits; Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWCG 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; Other family pools 10K SWCG and 15K on liquid; PoolMath app subscriber; | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I use a plastic measuring cup for bleach & a jewelers/craft scale for CYA. I have another plastic measuring cup for MA, but I haven't had to use it yet
    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Yes, that is fine for volume. For weight use a cheap kitchen scale, 20 bucks or less.
    Ok, cool. Yeah, I was thinking some cheap kitchen scale would be fine, but just wanted to hear it from you guys first.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    RIch, I'm curious which chemicals you need so much of that you're going to buy in bulk?
    The combination of unusually large, constant storms and drainage issues have forced me to slam more than I should be and required rebalancing afterwards. It's really not that much chemicals I'm going to buy. It's just more than what I'd normally get from local stores and at a much better price.
    - Hayward: EcoStar pump, SwimClear C5030 cartridge filter, T-CELL-9 sanitizer, H400FDN heater, ProLogic controller
    - Acc: Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Black Max F5B cleaner, Hayward 6060 booster pump, Taylor K-2006/K-1766

7. Back To Top    #7

I would say that for the most part that scales aren't necessary. Chemical additions aren't that critical to get exact. Estimating should be close enough.

If you have a 50 lb bag and want to add 10 lbs, it should be close enough to just use about 1/5 of the bag.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

8. Back To Top    #8

The only chemical I use the kitchen scale for is cyanuric acid (the wife gets annoyed with me measuring chemicals but, oh well...). I will put a sock in a larger container and then fill it up with two pounds of CYA. I usually have to add between 2 and 4 lbs per year so I like to be a little bit exact with it. Other than that, everything else solid-wise is estiamted (boric acid and DE).
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    The only chemical I use the kitchen scale for is cyanuric acid (the wife gets annoyed with me measuring chemicals but, oh well...)..

That sounds familiar Matt!!
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would say that for the most part that scales aren't necessary. Chemical additions aren't that critical to get exact. Estimating should be close enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Other than that, everything else solid-wise is estiamted (boric acid and DE).
    I hear you guys. I really do and I'm positive you're correct in that it's good enough. It's just not my personality to roll like that and, so, measuring tools will be used.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

If you have a 50 lb bag and want to add 10 lbs, it should be close enough to just use about 1/5 of the bag.
    I could see this being true for much larger pools.

In my 6700 gallon pool it only takes 9oz to add 10ppm to CYA (& 7oz of 12.5% to add 1ppm to FC). I bought a cheap digital scale off eBay for about $8, the 2lb max works fine for my pool. I think I only used the scale twice last season, I use the measuring cup every day for FC.

Besides, there's something about measuring out accurate chemical additions that appeals to the nerd in me, just like the Speed Stir does!
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    Besides, there's something about measuring out accurate chemical additions that appeals to the nerd in me, just like the Speed Stir does!
    I'm with ya, there.