need to raise cya level i am assuming?

ta2dwonderwoman

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2016
fall river ks
I had my cya at 50 last year if I remember correctly, but am now switching over to an swg with a sand filter in the next week or so to get ready to open pool for the year. I want to avoid a green swamp so have already started doing some work with the pool even though it is not swimmable just yet temp wise...

a few questions:

if I need to raise my CYA to approx. 80-90 for an swg system (I think that is what I read, will double check as I go along before jumping off the cliff) - is it ok to use pucks to keep water chlorinated and slowly raise cya over the next few weeks rather than getting a container of stabilizer? just want to verify that one or the other is just as good since I am looking to raise my cya purposefully ...I will need to check it before I do anything as I did use a few pucks over the winter...if they raise your cya much, I may have the battle half won already, LOL

also hoping to get the salt I will need, so getting ready to start looking around the forum a bit to see how much I will need approximately so that I can go ahead and get that in hand...I will get a bit more than needed so that I can be sure I have not miscalculated.

last thing here - if I find that my swg is not keeping up with the chlorine levels I need to be at, is it ok to supplement with some bleach as needed? I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, I can't really run out and buy a new swg unfortunately and will have to find a way to make things work for now....

I learned so much last year and since I am switching over, I have some info that carries over and a whole bunch of new stuff to figure out now!

thanks in advance for any advice

:testkit:

Ta,

It does not matter how you raise your CYA.. with pucks or stabilizer, as long as you test so you know what you have.. I think the SWCG CYA range is between 70 and 80...

How big a SWCG did you get? Adding bleach is perfectly fine to supplement a SWCG if needed.

You do understand that as it gets cold (next winter) the SWCG will stop working and you'll need to use Liquid Chlorine/bleach anyway..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do know that I can't use the swg during the winter but that's okay...

This is the swg and sand filter set up i got

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LBFRPRO/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is our third season with this pool and I assume that it won't last many more so I'm really just checking out options and seeing how well they work so that when I upgrade eventually I will have a good basis to know what does and does not work.

I did look and saw that the recommended cya was between 70 and 80 rather than 80 and 90 so thank you for that information, it verifies everything I'm seeing right now... I will wait until I get the pool clean and filter running properly and then start testing my cya and making adjustments as needed to get it where it needs to be so that my swg has its best chance of working properly for me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.