Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how many gallons??

1. Back To Top    #1

how many gallons??

Everyone here always wants to know how many gallons the pool is. How do I find out? I'm buying a house and the owner doesn't know, he suggested I call the pool store they use. I did, and he said he'd guess 12-15,000. is that the closest I'll get?

Emily

- - - Updated - - -

Another question. Type of Filter? I'm not sure what this means. I know the pool currently uses chlorine tablets but we are switching to a SWG. but this doesn't impact "type" of filter right?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: how many gallons??

Provide the measurements and we can help you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The 12,000 to 15,000 gallons is close enough for now. Once you get to using and maintaining it, you can use chemical additions to narrow down the size more closely.

If you can read anything off the equipment or post pictures of it we can most likely tell you what type and in some cases what size the equipment is.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Emily, that's correct. The method of adding chlorine to the pool (pump, manually, tabs, SWG etc) doesn't impact the type of filter (DE, sand, cartridge) with a few exceptions noted here:

Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    12,000 gal Diamond Brite indoor​ pool. Pentair Triton TR-60 Sand Filter +added DE, Lochinvar Energyrite ERN-200 gas heater, Pentair Multi-valve, Pentair SuperFlo VS pump, TF-100 kit, Pool Math App - iOS

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Provide the measurements and we can help you.
    Thanks. Once we get keys I will.

-Emily

IG plaster pool, approx 12-15K gallons, Pentair IC40 SWCG, sand filter Pentair Triton II 325 lbs 24" 3.14 ft2, Sta-Rite Max -E-Pro pump, booster pump - Pentair LS-MS05, Polaris 380 vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

We got keys to the house! Now someone else I spoke with says he thinks it's closer to 20k. Here's what I have.

-Emily

IG plaster pool, approx 12-15K gallons, Pentair IC40 SWCG, sand filter Pentair Triton II 325 lbs 24" 3.14 ft2, Sta-Rite Max -E-Pro pump, booster pump - Pentair LS-MS05, Polaris 380 vacuum, TF-100 Test Kit and K-1766 Salt test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

You'll need to pump the water off the cover to be able to tell what the water underneath looks like.

You have a heater. You'll need to unwrap it before firing it up.

That's a Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro main pump, but I can't tell what size it is. Looks like maybe a 1 hp.

You also have a booster pump, which means that you have a pressure side cleaner. It's a Pentair LS-MS05.

That tall canister looking thing is an inline tablet feeder. It says Bioguard on it, but it's a Pentair Rainbow 320 with their label on it.

Everything looks in pretty good shape. The fact that the heater is covered hopefully means it was winterized correctly and you won't have much trouble opening it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

and a sand filter - Pentair Triton II, 325 lbs, 24", 3.14 ft2.

With the irregular shape pool, we would need some measurements and water depth to estimate the volume of water. And a picture of the pool from up as high as you can from your deck.

9. Back To Top    #9

The 2 straightish edges are 35' x 20'. The shallow end is 3' and the deep end is 5'

-Emily

10. Back To Top    #10

This is as high as I can get.

-Emily

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Try this link . It may be an easy & close enough approximation until you can refine it further. The chemical addition method can get you closer once you feel comfortable testing and adding chemicals.

12. Back To Top    #12

That link didn't work.

-Emily

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

how many gallons??

The formula is length x width x depth x 7.5. I'd estimate 33x18x4x7.5=18,000. You can dial in your estimate over time by comparing expected chemical changes with actual changes based on a given product addition.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

how many gallons??

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyOTR View Post
    That link didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oops , lol. It was the Pentair website
    Pentair.com>Support>Tools>Calculators>Pool Volume Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    The formula is length x width x depth x 7.5. I'd estimate 33x18x4x7.5=18,000. You can dial in your estimate over time by comparing expected chemical changes with actual changes based on a given product addition.
    Thank you!
    -Emily

16. Back To Top    #16

I forgot to post the filter. Yeah, it's a Triton II TR60 with a side mount multiport valve.

I'd also guess that the pool is between 12,000 & 15,000 gallons.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I forgot to post the filter. Yeah, it's a Triton II TR60 with a side mount multiport valve.

I'd also guess that the pool is between 12,000 & 15,000 gallons.
    Oh, why? Did you see what bmoreswim posted? Why do you disagree with that?
    -Emily

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a program where I can model a pool if I have a few dimensions, and I can usually get pretty close to the volume. Also, the majority of the time, people tend to overestimate volumes. It may wind up actually being a little larger than my estimate, but about 15,000 gallons would be a good place to start in Poolmath.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
    I have a program where I can model a pool if I have a few dimensions, and I can usually get pretty close to the volume. Also, the majority of the time, people tend to overestimate volumes. It may wind up actually being a little larger than my estimate, but about 15,000 gallons would be a good place to start in Poolmath.
    well my pool is covered too, so it's hard to measure right now.
    -Emily