Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hawyward 1500 , RS1500 two speed pump replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Hawyward 1500 , RS1500 two speed pump replacement

Hi All!

Thank goodness for this sight. It's helped me a lot in the past and I wanted to see if I could get some more advice now that i'm having another pool issue. My pool pump stopped working . I think it's the start run capacitor as it was making a buzz like it was going to work and then just stopped buzzing completely. I haven't taken it off yet to start checking with a multimeter, but I thought maybe now would be the perfect time to replace my pool pump with a more energy efficient one. The current pump is a Hayward 1500 (Model: RS1500) 1.5 hp pump. I've done some reading but i'm not quite sure what the best option would be here:

1. Test the capacitor and just replace the capacitor (if that's really the problem).

2. Replace just the motor? Is that possible? From what I read a two speed motor seems to be the most economical choice. Is there any suggestions on something I could buy and fit onto it? Would only a certain type of model fit my pump?

3. Replace the entire pump?

Any advice?

Thanks a lot,
    --Lee
    25,000 Gallon Pool, In Ground, Plaster, DE Filter (need to get model), need to get pump, pool build year unknown

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hawyward 1500 , RS1500 two speed pump replacement

I'll probably go with the dual speed motor replacement: A.O. Smith 1-1/2 HP Round Flange Dual Speed Full Rate Motor (STS1152R) - INYOPools.com
    My impression was dual speed motor replacement was the most long term economical option.
    25,000 Gallon Pool, In Ground, Plaster, DE Filter (need to get model), need to get pump, pool build year unknown