Loop-Loc or Merlin cover?

Tyrone Shuz

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Bowie, MD
It's time for a new cover. We have a Merlin mesh cover, it's now about 15 years old, and needs replacing. Too many seams undone and bird holes to repair.

Loop Loc supposedly has a solid cover with mesh sections so water still drains in and doesn't collect on the cover.

Merlin supposedly has a smart mesh that doesn't allow any sunlight in.

Can anyone shed any light (rimshot) on which brand I should go with and why? Do they products do what they claim? Or should I just go standard mesh, etc.

We have a Merlin Smartmesh cover. I am very pleased with it after 4 years. I open each spring (albeit early) to crystal clear water (and close late). What gets in is mostly just the inevitable worms and debris that will sneak below any cover. I feel the components are of a very high quality and would be similar to Loop-Loc. I would have no hesitation choosing the cheaper of a Loop-Loc mesh or a Merlin Smartmesh cover.

I would not get a solid cover because a) the weight and b) the only benefit is keeping sunlight and debris out (which my mesh cover does great at).

How early do you open and how late do you close? I keep a bucket on the stairs, inside of which goes a sump pump which I hose to the other end of the pool, and I put pucks in the bucket when it gets warm in the winter (as it always does). I usually open end of April/early May and close end of September/early October. Pool usually takes 2-3 days to clear up upon opening, sometimes longer. One year it was perfectly clear.

Do the newer mesh liners prevent more light than older ones?

Smartmesh is likely newer than yours was. I open around April 20 and close around October 20. Water temps should be below 60 for both.

I raise FC to SLAM before closing and then maybe add something if it warms before April but hasn't really been an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.