Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loop-Loc or Merlin cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Loop-Loc or Merlin cover?

It's time for a new cover. We have a Merlin mesh cover, it's now about 15 years old, and needs replacing. Too many seams undone and bird holes to repair.

Loop Loc supposedly has a solid cover with mesh sections so water still drains in and doesn't collect on the cover.

Merlin supposedly has a smart mesh that doesn't allow any sunlight in.

Can anyone shed any light (rimshot) on which brand I should go with and why? Do they products do what they claim? Or should I just go standard mesh, etc.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Loop-Loc or Merlin cover?

We have a Merlin Smartmesh cover. I am very pleased with it after 4 years. I open each spring (albeit early) to crystal clear water (and close late). What gets in is mostly just the inevitable worms and debris that will sneak below any cover. I feel the components are of a very high quality and would be similar to Loop-Loc. I would have no hesitation choosing the cheaper of a Loop-Loc mesh or a Merlin Smartmesh cover.

I would not get a solid cover because a) the weight and b) the only benefit is keeping sunlight and debris out (which my mesh cover does great at).
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

How early do you open and how late do you close? I keep a bucket on the stairs, inside of which goes a sump pump which I hose to the other end of the pool, and I put pucks in the bucket when it gets warm in the winter (as it always does). I usually open end of April/early May and close end of September/early October. Pool usually takes 2-3 days to clear up upon opening, sometimes longer. One year it was perfectly clear.

Do the newer mesh liners prevent more light than older ones?

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Loop-Loc or Merlin cover?

Smartmesh is likely newer than yours was. I open around April 20 and close around October 20. Water temps should be below 60 for both.

I raise FC to SLAM before closing and then maybe add something if it warms before April but hasn't really been an issue.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

The fellow I'm going to use said if I open as normal (late April/Early May) and close as normal (late September/Early Oct) I should have a clear pool. That would be awesome if he's right. I currently have duramesh.