Hayward Solar Controller

Good question that I'm curious about as well. I have a non functional FAFCO controller right now. It looks like the Hayward GLC-2P-A kit is pretty complete.

c18d8b858bd64d56f86857da20635efe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not that familiar with Hayward equipment but according to this the GL-235 solar controller can change the speed on the ecostar pump.
Comparing Variable Speed Pool Pumps | Solar Southwest Florida

Which is what you want. I run my Intelliflo VS pump at 1100 rpm on solar standby and it only uses 150 watts. When solar heat is available my Solartouch solar controller opens the solar valve and ramps the pump speed up to 1950 rpm. When solar heat is not available it closes the valve and the pump goes back to 1100 rpm.

Pooldv thanks for the link. That's what I was looking for. I don't need anything fancy, just automation for solar to maximize swim season in Central FL.

Is there anyone who has been using the GL-235 on this site that can provide some feedback from their experience?

I will be following this as I too would like to replace my one speed pump with a variable speed pump. I too have the GL-235 which works great however I would like to integrate a VS pump with the least cost involved. Please keep us informed.:cheers:
I'll be ordering one in the next few days. I'm sure I'll have some questions on the installation and know just the place to ask them.... TFP

Here is how my Pentair Solartouch works with my Intellifo VS pump. I expect that the GL-235 will be similar so hopefully this will help with figuring it out.

I set the pump internal timer to turn on at 8am at 1100 rpm (speed 1) for solar standby. It only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. The Solartouch monitors water temp and solar panel temp and when solar heat is available it will open the solar valve and changes the pump to speed 2 (1950 rpm). After solar heat is no longer available it closes the valve and the pump returns to speed 1. Then the pump's timer turns itself off at 10p.

I have learned that running the pump overnight will cool the pool a degree or two more than it would if the pump is off overnight.

Then if your pool gets too hot during summer you can run solar cooling at night to cool the pool. Then I run 10p to 8a for cooling.

FLpoolDIY I contacted Jason Szumlanski, Principal Solar Designer, Florida Solar Design Group. He is the person in the link that PoolDV sent in the earlier part of this thread. This is what he suggested
"Brent,

I would go with the Pentair Superflo VS or the Hayward Ecostar if your budget allows. If you get the Superflo you will need the communications cable sold separately.

​This would qualify as a moderate to advanced control wiring job, so hire someone who knows what they are doing unless you are confident you can do it yourself.​ The communication cable is Pentair Digital Input Kit 353129Z. "

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I recently had solar heating system installed using the GL-235 controller. I then installed Hayward vsp sp2303vsp. Is there anyway to wire the pump to the controller to change the speeds when it calls for solar? If not what’s my best bet? Thanks

Hi. I recently had solar heating system installed using the GL-235 controller. I then installed Hayward vsp sp2303vsp. Is there anyway to wire the pump to the controller to change the speeds when it calls for solar? If not what’s my best bet? Thanks

Yes. The pump manual and control manual have instructions. Your pump will only be able to run 2 speeds. I remember there was a jumper wire installed on the pump but I don’t remember the specifics and no longer live at that house so I can’t provide a picture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.