Polaris booster pump issue

monutt

Oct 17, 2015
Pearland, tx
I have been battling a Polaris booster pump issue for a while and while many posts are close to the issue, this one seems unique.

My pump will not start on its own. I can energize it but no flow. Once I hand spin the shaft, it comes flying on and works like a champ for hours. I have checked the voltages and it reads fine. I have completely uninstalled it and opened it up to check for internal issues (impeller, etc) and installed all new seals. I have changed the run capacitor out twice with new ones of the exact same rating. I have tested the capacitors as well to make sure they work well. I confirmed through replacement that the supply valve is clear and fully open and my main pump runs well with good pressure. I am at a loss. Can the actual wires to the capacitor be broken and it still run? It appears to be a run capacitor and not a starting capacitor based on its numbers.

Another observation is that a couple of weeks ago, there was enough flow through the pump that it would very slowly spin the shaft while off. More recently, that is not the case.

Like I said, all I have to do is give it a slight twist and it takes off.

Any ideas would be appreciated... would love to get back to it cleaning on a schedule.

No additional noise.... just hums and if I don't spin the shaft, it will trip off on high temperature ( I believe it is a high temp shutoff).

This is every time I test it. I don't have it in the daily cycle while I have this issue. I put it in manual and run it for a few hours.

I just grab the exposed shaft at the back of the motor with three fingers and spin it (pull my hand away quickly) and it starts right up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have replaced (with brand new?) and also tested those capacitors, I'm afraid that the motor is done. If it did this only some of the time, i would think dead spot(s) on, or a contaminated armature.

Some shops, mine included, won't mess with working on motors. However that's not to say you can't bring it to a motor shop yourself for repair or rebuilding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.