Has anyone seen this in the skimmer?

Mar 20, 2017
Brandon
Hi Everyone,

Noobie here, trying to figure out what is on the left side there (skimmer return side) from a newly acquired pool.

Not coming out easily by hand. I'm looking to add a diverter valve and this will be on the way.

IMG_20170320_185141.jpg

Thanks for looking!

A,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all you pool and skimmer questions.. :super:

I have no idea what that is, but wanted to confirm that your main drain is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer...

The only reason I ask, is that this hole will be plugged if the main drain is run back to the equipment pad.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I believe right side goes to main drain because when looking back at my pump, there is only one pipe coming in, although after the filter there are two pipes (I think this is just to divert the flow around the pool)

I'm afraid to use force there since I'm not yet sure how the whole assembly is put together or what that white piece could have been originally or what goes there?! Shouldn't both sides look the same?

A,

If you only have one pipe into your pump, then it is a pretty safe bet that the main drain is plumbed into the skimmer.

Many, many older pools are plumbed this way. I have two of them and neither has a diverter valve.

Main drains are not really needed, so why are you interested in adding a diverter plate?

Sorry, but I have no idea what could be in the pipe..

Let's see if one of our other members can chime in..

Jim R.

Thanks JamesW, I suspect the same. I bought a cleaner and was able to attach to whatever that is, it doesn't go right in but it snuggles well enough for the cleaner to work.

Jimrahbe if you think I don't need the main drain, what would be the proper way to close it out? That would solve my problem, as I'm trying to increase surface filtration. I think what I meant was a skimmer diverter plate

A,

I don't believe that installing a diverter plate will improve your skimmer operation. Without a plate all the water is coming from the skimmer opening, the main drain is not being used at all.

My guess is that your Weir door to the skimmer is missing... The weir door is what makes the skimmer work..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sammy,

Skimmers will work without the weir door, but they work better with the door operational. Without the weir the water is pulled more from the bottom lip of the skimmer, with the weir door installed the water is pulled more from the surface of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sammy,

Skimmers will work without the weir door, but they work better with the door operational. Without the weir the water is pulled more from the bottom lip of the skimmer, with the weir door installed the water is pulled more from the surface of the pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I see how they work a whole lot better for sure. I'm just pointing out that my dad's pool didn't have one and it still skimmed. Mine can sometimes draw air even with the weir door and IIR his never did that. In my teen years I was the pool guy BTW..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.