Amazon extra warranty coverage on a Pentair Intellifo

Thank you for your replies. My concern with the head loss and gpm is mainly that I want to buy the right pump. Clearly it's a big purchase and I don't want to end up with something that's being over worked or inefficient.

From what I've read the pool needs to be cycled once a day for filtration. With a VS pump I can just run it for 24 hours at 26 gph and accomplish that. Getting the value out of the solar power complicates things because it's the cheapest energy. Perhaps what you're saying is to buy the smaller pump and run it at a lower speed for a longer period of the day. From what I understand the Pentair solar controller will automatically increase rpm when the sun is on the panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neither pump will be overworked or inefficient. In fact, no pump can be overworked unless there is something wrong with it or you completely block flow.

From what I've read the pool needs to be cycled once a day for filtration.
That is one of the biggest myths that we try to squash here. There is nothing magical about 1, 2 or 3 turnovers. I get plenty of circulation for my pool in 1/10th of a turnover (FC is fully distributed to all parts of the pool). So turnovers basically mean nothing. The only necessity of running a pump is to get FC in the pool and distributed. The limiting factor on run time could be an SWG, floor cleaners or solar but not turnovers.

Getting the value out of the solar power complicates things because it's the cheapest energy. Perhaps what you're saying is to buy the smaller pump and run it at a lower speed for a longer period of the day. From what I understand the Pentair solar controller will automatically increase rpm when the sun is on the panels.
Again, any pump will work fine with solar. The smaller or larger VS matters not. The efficiency is slightly different but I doubt it will make much difference over time.

Your biggest concern should be the integration with any controller that you might use and the feature set supported by each pump not to mention price.

Thank you for that info. As far as integration the only other thing I plan to add is the Pentair solar controller and it can work with either pump. I don't have a SWG or any automation. I think either pump will allow me to get rid of my timer box and automatically bump the pump rpm during solar heat operation.

My chemicals and monitoring are based on the TFP pool calculator.

Did you read the SolarTouch/SunTouch manuals? They mention Intelliflo but not SuperFlo. Are you sure it works with both?

Did you read the SolarTouch/SunTouch manuals? They mention Intelliflo but not SuperFlo. Are you sure it works with both?

Mark,

The SolarTouch/SunTouch won't control the Superflo pump directly, but if they have a set of N/O relay contacts that close when the solar turns on, then you can route the 5 volts from the pump, through the relay, and back to the pump to increase the speed when solar is on...

Not graceful, but would work.

Jim R.

Protlost,

The SuperFlo has no relays.. The relay needs to be in the solar or sun touch... the SuperFlo supplies the 5 VDC to the automation. When the automation turns on the solar it closes the relay sending the 5 VDC back to the superFlo. The 5 volts tells the SuperFlo to go to a specific speed.. You also need to have the special cable that plugs into the SuperFlo and allows for external control..

Jim R.

Jim I actually found a quote from you in another thread explaining the wiring.

"So, it appears to me that the Superflo has an "External Control" connector. Pentair makes cable P/N 353129Z, sold by Sunplay for about $50.. that plugs into the connector.

The Superflo provides 5 volts to the connector which comes out the Red wire on the cable.

You would then wire this five volt DC output to the input of the "Booster pump" relay inside the SolarTouch.

Connect the output of the booster pump relay to one of the 3 speed inputs on the cable.. Green wire for Speed1, Yellow for Speed 2, Orange for Speed 3.

When the SolarTouch turns on the Booster pump relay, the Superflo will ramp up to whatever Speed (color) where the five volts was connected.

So, the Superflo would work off of it's internal time clock schedule until the SolarTouch turned on the solar system, which in turn would turn on the Booster Pump relay, which would ramp the Superflo up to the desired speed.

When the booster pump relay is de-energized, the SuperFlo will return to its normal schedule.

Looks like it should work to me... What am I missing?

Jim R."

I also downloaded the manual so I could take a look at how to wire the Superflo if that's the route I take.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.