Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Saltwater slam

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Saltwater slam

Hello,

I need a little help on a slam for Saltwater. I have experience with a chlorine slam but not with a SWG. Much help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Current levels:
    TC 4.5
    CC 0
    CH 550
    TA 114
    PH 7.8
    CYA 60
    Salt 3000
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City - Tested CH is 500
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Help with Saltwater slam

Step 1: Turn off SWG

Step 2: SLAM as normal

After you complete the SLAM and your FC level returns to normal you can fire up the SWG and continue as normal. Since you are adding chlorine manually anyway no reason to leave it on, might as well save on the wear and tear.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I use bleach or liquid chlorine? Doesn't liquid chlorine add to the salt level? Also, should I increase my CYA to 70 or 80?

Thanks,

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Imracerx View Post
    Should I use bleach or liquid chlorine? Doesn't liquid chlorine add to the salt level? Also, should I increase my CYA to 70 or 80?

Thanks,
    I wouldn't increase CYA until post SLAM as increasing CYA raises initial chlorine demand.

Bleach is liquid chlorine but just likely a different percentage than the pool store liquid. The additional salt is extremely minimal.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    I wouldn't increase CYA until post SLAM as increasing CYA raises initial chlorine demand.

Bleach is liquid chlorine but just likely a different percentage than the pool store liquid. The additional salt is extremely minimal.
    Thank you!
    27K Gal, IG Plaster, Hayward EcoStar Variable Pump, Pentair DE FNS Plus Filter 24, Hayward AquaRite with extended life T-CELL-15
    The Pool Cleaner Sweep
    Build in 1969
    Water From City - Tested CH is 500
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Imracerx View Post
    Should I use bleach or liquid chlorine? Doesn't liquid chlorine add to the salt level?
    Bleach and liquid chlorine are the same product, just in different concentrations.

"Bleach" is the household term for chlorine concentrations from 3 - 8.25%

"liquid chlorine" is the industrial (& pool industry) term for concentrations above that, most commonly 10 & 12.5%. You will often see it labeled as "liquid shock".

This is part of the pool industry art of confusion & deception. They say you can't use "bleach" in your pool because of the added salt and "dissolved solids" it add. But, use this liquid shock, it works great.
    TFP Moderator

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

Support the site