Basic remote for spa heater

kyle88

Mar 20, 2017
Colorado
Hi all,

Any recommendations for a super basic remote for my Raypak spa heater? I really just want something so that I can turn it back down to 50 (min temp for when the freeze control kicks in) when we get out in the winter. I've seen that Jandy/Hayward automation systems exist that wire into the Raypak heater, but reliability is questionable, it has a lot of features I don't really care for/need, and is pricey. Are there any more basic options out there that I'm missing?

thanks!
Kyle

There are no basic remotes to just control the heater and certain none that would change the temp on the heater itself. Not sure also why you question the reliability of the automation systems. They are very reliable and you can set them up to do what you're looking for. Yes if you just have a pool, they are overkill.

There are no basic remotes to just control the heater and certain none that would change the temp on the heater itself. Not sure also why you question the reliability of the automation systems. They are very reliable and you can set them up to do what you're looking for. Yes if you just have a pool, they are overkill.

Reading the reviews for Jandy Aqualink or Hayward pro logic for example are filled with people complaining that their controller has broken and had to be replaced several times in 5 years.

I have a pool and a spa, and it would be nice to be able to control the heater/pumps without going to the equipment, I'm just hesitant to invest thousands, and the solutions in the lower cost range appear to break often (per aformentioned reviews).

Kyle,

I would not put a lot of stock into on-line reviews. Let's face it, we only get one side of the story....:D

If I see 10 bad reviews, what does that mean? Did the company only build 10 units and they were all bad or did they build 10 million units and only 10 of them were bad?

My guess is that only 1 out of 50 people post good reviews, while 7 out of 10 people will post bad reviews.. Just a guess on my part....

In my case I've had three automation systems running for about three years and have had zero issues.

Now all I just need to find me a giant piece of Oak to knock on... :hammer:

My only advice is to make sure that each piece of equipment you are trying to control can talk together. Most of the time this means the pump, the SWCG, and the automation should all be one brand. Most heaters can be controlled by almost all automation.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.