Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool adventurers from Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool adventurers from Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas

Hello fellow pool adventurers.

This is our 4th Intex above ground pool in 8 years. They don't wear out, we just keep upsizing. This 26' x 52" is the biggest we will be going and may go to a more permanent structure after this one wears out. I discovered Trouble free pools 2 years ago and can honestly say it has saved us a ton of money and headache. I am a high school science teacher in a small rural school and can tell you I have used what I have learned here to teach some great real world application lessons in my biology and chemistry classes.

We got a great winter month deal through the local box store on the 26' pool. However, I'm a little worried about getting the boxes unpacked and inspected before the chance to return runs out in case there are any damaged parts (the boxes were pretty banged up). My principal has a sand filter and pump she is passing on to me, but I'm so used to using cartridge filters, I'm not sure if the conversion is a major ordeal or if we should go salt water generator. Suggestions welcome.

Blue Skies and Sunny pool days ahead,
    biomcgee
    Mena, Arkansas
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 26' x 52" (still in the box) 14,400 gallons, 120 V Cartridge Filter, Taylor K-1004 test kit. (About to take down 3 year old Intex 15' )

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool adventurers from Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas

Hey ya Mena

Your cartridge filter is a filter just like a sand filter is a filter. The Salt Water Generator is a sanitizer. Different beast and job entirely.

I like my sand filter. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting used to one. You can backwash them to clean them out, which is something I believe you can't do with a cartridge type filter. Makes it easy to drain excess water out also. The multiport valve on top of it is the "brain" of it.

Holler if you have any other questions

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool adventurers from Ouachita Mountains in Arkansas

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool(s)!

Mena, AR was a favorite spot of my dad's. And we love broken bow lake! Pretty country up there. The sand filter will be a pretty good upgrade from the Intex cartridge filters. And the SWG will save you a bit of bleach hauling and chlorine adding.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach