Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't unscrew Pentair Black Buttress.

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't unscrew Pentair Black Buttress.

I'm trying to replace the air relief assembly on the top of my filter. The it's held on by a nut on the underside of the buttress. I do have the "wrench" that comes with this kit, but I've spent 30 minutes trying to loosen it with no luck.

Is there a trick to getting one of these off? Do the threads go in the opposite direction?
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't unscrew Pentair Black Buttress.

Just spent another 20 minutes at lunch trying my hardest to get this thing to unscrew, still no luck. Anyone encountered one of these stuck before?
    35k gal, sand, IG, diamond brite, Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15 Turbo SWG, Aquarite, Compool Lx3600

3. Back To Top    #3

Try tapping on the wrench handles with a rubber hammer.

Or, use short pieces of pipe to extend the handles.

It helps if you have two people.

Looking down, you should be going counterclockwise.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Counter Clockwise looking down. I use two pot holders on my hands because that "wrench" digs into my skin. I just happened to read that manual last night and its supposed to be put on Hand tight + 1/4 Turn with sealant lube.

HTH
    ~17k gallon, plaster/gunite pool, Pac Fab Challenger Pump 1.65HP, Sand filter. Rheem Heater. Waterfalls with 1 hp pump. Main Drain and 1 Skimmer.
    TF-100XL test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Be careful not to overstress the handles because they are not super strong and can break.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.