Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Speedstir Review

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor Speedstir Review

Hello All,
    So I've taken the plunge and purchased the Taylor Speedstir to utilize my with my test kit. Used it for the first time today here's my impression and review.
    First and foremost, it's a nifty addition to the test kit and it makes me feel geekier than I already am with my test kit!

The bar stirrer takes up about 1.5 ml of space. I measured the water first then added the bar stirrer, 10ml went to 11.5 (their are markings on the clear tube that comes with the kit).
    Yes the bar stirrer does fit in the test tube that comes with the K-2006, it's tight but does work.

I did use the stirrer when doing the drop borate test, and water did not come out of the test tube, but it sure made doing that test easier. Actually it makes all the test easier, instead of drops, swirl, drops, swirl, just put in the water, the bar stirrer, turn it on, start adding drops.. Viola!

It it required, nope, but if you've got an extra $35 bucks that you want to spend, it's a geeky tool, that makes testing a bit easier.

Oh, remember don't toss out the magnetic stir bar, when you pour out the solutions.

5/5 stars.. huge geek factor!
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor Speedstir Review

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post

Actually it makes all the test easier, instead of drops, swirl, drops, swirl, just put in the water, the bar stirrer, turn it on, start adding drops.. Viola!
    Viola? I took viola lessons as a child. I was traumatized because they ran out of violins before they got to me, and handed me that big ole viola. It was like being handed a tuba instead of a clarinet. LOL

Oh, remember don't toss out the magnetic stir bar, when you pour out the solutions.
    Oh yeahhhhhh.... done that a time or two and never found 'em in the grass! Now I order extra and keep one for each testing tube.

5/5 stars.. huge geek factor!
    Yeah it is
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

3. Back To Top    #3

Started using one two weeks ago...couldn't agree more! Makes testing a breeze!

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

4. Back To Top    #4

My wife thinks I am a mad scientist when she sees me using the Speedstir. Seriously, it does make testing easier and well worth the money.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Love mine! Not only does it make the testing easier, but more accurate and much more repeatable.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

To keep from losing the stirrer, I pour the different solutions into a small plastic measuring bucket. If you pour carefully, you can keep the "bean" in the vial but if it slips out, you can easily retrieve it.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh... I'm ALL over this....getting my beginner pool geek on!

Loc: So Cal Full Sunlight, IG 30'x15' Rectangle, 21,000gal w/ 2100gal Jac w/ Spillover
    (SWG) Pentair Intelli IC40, Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed UEE Pump
    Pentair Mastertemp 400 Pool and Spa Heater
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter CCP-420
    Intellibright 5G Color Pool and Spa Lights, Hayward Nav Pro Pool Vac, Taylor-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

I actually have two speedstir's so I guess that makes me doubly-geeky However, I do have one complaint - I wish they'd either slow down the spinner or give you a variable-speed selection. I find the SS works a lot better when the batteries are a little used; fresh batteries make the spinner go way too fast and it can actually make 10mL samples harder to see. I was actually going to look at a chemistry supply store and see if I could find some micro-sized stir bars as the one that comes with the unit is really too fat. It would be better if the stir bar was about half its current diameter.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

There are a number of different sized ones available through smile.amazon.com
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

10. Back To Top    #10

eBay is also a good source
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    There are a number of different sized ones available through smile.amazon.com
    I just ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday. I'm rocking Amazon Smile. Already got $5.50 donated this year. Lee's going to take his kids to Dairy Queen for sundae's ...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

You got me beat, I'm at $4.48 so far. He can get one too!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking | Merlin SmartMesh winter safety cover
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

Love my Apollo Speed Stirrer, unfortunately they don't make them anymore

6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

14. Back To Top    #14

I love my Taylor speedstir. I play "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby when I use it .
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Paul & Crystal View Post
    I love my Taylor speedstir. I play "She Blinded Me With Science" by Thomas Dolby when I use it .
    LOL! How many times we saw that on MTV? ....LOTS!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

16. Back To Top    #16

I remember the first time I used the TF-100 and without a speedstir.

Getting dark out, had the kit out on the deck by the pool, mosquitos buzzing
    around and eating me alive while I was trying to do water tests on my first
    home with a pool.

Then I realized i could just test inside and i did get the speedstir immediately
    and have been much happier about testing since.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

17. Back To Top    #17

I also love the speedstir. It is great for testing.

My only complaints are:
    1) If the vial gets a bit wet on the outside and leaks onto the stirrer mechanism, the vial will actually start spinning along with the stir bar.
    2) When the batteries get low on power, the stir bar starts acting a bit erratic and jumps around.
    3) Emptying solution out without loosing the stir bar is a bit tricky. I may get a small aquarium fish net to strain through to catch the stir bar each time.

Otherwise, it is the "Cat's Meow"!
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I use a small plastic cup to drain my vial into. If you hold it at a very flat angle, you can empty the vial without losing the stir stick. And if you do, it's pretty easy to retrieve.

19. Back To Top    #19

I just stick my hand into the garbage disposal when I drop the magnet in. As long as my mother-in-law isn't around, I feel safe enough to do that

Matt

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    I just stick my hand into the garbage disposal when I drop the magnet in. As long as my mother-in-law isn't around, I feel safe enough to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast