Hi,

Yesterday at 4:30 I tested my water:

FC - 9 ppm (just added LC only)
    PH - 7.0 ppm
    CC -12 ppm
    CH - 175ppm
    TA - 110
    CYA - 50

I had swapped a bunch of water as my CYA was too high.

I have a 600 gallon hot tub that runs 24/7 @ 102F.

I was in the hot tub 3 times (with my sons) over the 24 hour period.

According to pool math adding 2.5 ounces of 12.5% LC should raise me to 5ppm.

I just added that & my FC (after 30 minutes) was about 2.5ppm. I am using the TFP testkit (the big one) for the FC testing.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Rich

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FC from 9 to 1.5 in 24 hours?

Rich,

Something is wrong with your test results.....CC shouldn't be 12?

Can you detail for us how you got that measurement? And how you're testing?
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,

I am going to go run the test again but I think I wrote that down wrong. I am guessing it must have been 12 drops (or 6ppm)?

I am going to do another FC & CC test right now:

10 minutes later:

OK so right now its

FC: 2.5
    CC: 1

I might put another 2.5 ounces in tonight & see where i end up. I think I want to be at 5 for the FC.

Though that would make the current TC 3.5?

EDIT: I am using the TF100 kit & these instructions: TFTestkits.net

4. Back To Top    #4

I ended up adding a total of 7.5 ounces of 12.5% bleach & it raised my FC to 8, CC stayed at 1. This was as of 10:30pm so I will check in about 24 hours to see where it is.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi,

Yesterday at 4:30 I tested my water:

FC - 9 ppm (just added LC only)
    PH - 7.0 ppm
    CC -12 ppm
    CH - 175ppm
    TA - 110
    CYA - 50

I had swapped a bunch of water as my CYA was too high.

I have a 600 gallon hot tub that runs 24/7 @ 102F.

I was in the hot tub 3 times (with my sons) over the 24 hour period.

According to pool math adding 2.5 ounces of 12.5% LC should raise me to 5ppm.

I just added that & my FC (after 30 minutes) was about 2.5ppm. I am using the TFP testkit (the big one) for the FC testing.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Are you perhaps confusing CC with TC? TC is the sum of FC (good stuff) + CC (bad stuff), or FC + CC = TC
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Intex 15K SWG | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi,

So as of last night my FC was 8 & CC was 1 so I guess my TC would be 9?

Again based on pool math, with my FC at 1 & goal of 7 with a 600 gallon tank, using 12.5% bleach I should have needed 3.7 oz but used 7.5 (and ended up at 8 FC).

Based on 7.5oz of 12.5% pool math says my FC should be at 13.

I am a bit confused or something else may be off?

I am using this as my guide:

Chlorine Drop test - If you need to......1) measure Chlorine levels accurately or 2) higher than 5ppm or 3) test for Combined Chloramines…perform the Chlorine Drop Test. (FAS/DPD)
    1. Rinse and fill the “Chlorine only” graduated cylinder to the 10mL mark
    2. Add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. (It may not all dissolve….don’t worry) The solution will turn pink. (unless you have no chlorine)
    3. Next, carefully add R-871 solution one drop at a time. Count each drop and swirl until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added times .5 (14 drops X .5 = 7ppm)
    4. Record your results as FC (free chlorine)
    5. To test for Combined Chloramines, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC’s. If it returns back to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops times .5 again…..this will be your CC reading. Record it. The total of FC and CC should be recorded as TC (total chlorine)

What I am doing:
    10ML + scoop of powder + Mix
    Add 871 while mixing counting drops
    Divide drops by 2 to get FC
    Then add 003 (5 drops) (gets pink)
    Add 871 while mixing / counting drops
    Divide drops by 2 to get CC

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi,

So as of last night my FC was 8 & CC was 1 so I guess my TC would be 9?

Again based on pool math, with my FC at 1 & goal of 7 with a 600 gallon tank, using 12.5% bleach I should have needed 3.7 oz but used 7.5 (and ended up at 8 FC).

Based on 7.5oz of 12.5% pool math says my FC should be at 13.

I am a bit confused or something else may be off?

I am using this as my guide:

Chlorine Drop test - If you need to......1) measure Chlorine levels accurately or 2) higher than 5ppm or 3) test for Combined Chloramines…perform the Chlorine Drop Test. (FAS/DPD)
    1. Rinse and fill the “Chlorine only” graduated cylinder to the 10mL mark
    2. Add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. (It may not all dissolve….don’t worry) The solution will turn pink. (unless you have no chlorine)
    3. Next, carefully add R-871 solution one drop at a time. Count each drop and swirl until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added times .5 (14 drops X .5 = 7ppm)
    4. Record your results as FC (free chlorine)
    5. To test for Combined Chloramines, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC’s. If it returns back to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops times .5 again…..this will be your CC reading. Record it. The total of FC and CC should be recorded as TC (total chlorine)

What I am doing:
    10ML + scoop of powder + Mix
    Add 871 while mixing counting drops
    Divide drops by 2 to get FC
    Then add 003 (5 drops) (gets pink)
    Add 871 while mixing / counting drops
    Divide drops by 2 to get CC
    I'm guessing that the bleach is not 12.5%, or the volume of the tub is much larger.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Intex 15K SWG | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

how old is the bleach and where is it stored?

as a benchmark, go buy some brand new 8.25% that you know is going to be 8.25%, then perform your tests and compare the relative percentages.

also, heat degrades CL and so does body count, as well as clear skies and full sun. You need to track your testing variables and see if that has any impact too.
    15K gal 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' Spa, tanning shelf, IG, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine Coping/Decking, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, Aqua-Logic PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, Covered SummerKitchen, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tstex View Post
    how old is the bleach and where is it stored?

as a benchmark, go buy some brand new 8.25% that you know is going to be 8.25%, then perform your tests and compare the relative percentages.

also, heat degrades CL and so does body count, as well as clear skies and full sun. You need to track your testing variables and see if that has any impact too.
    I got the bleach from my pool supply store at the end of the season. The room its in is a bit hot (hot tub is indoors). It could be just old stock they were pushing on sale?

I will stop by target today & get some new bleach for testing purposes.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

There may be a date code on the stuff you got from the pool $tore. Look for a code like "16349 8:34" That would be the 349th day of 2016.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    There may be a date code on the stuff you got from the pool $tore. Look for a code like "16349 8:34" That would be the 349th day of 2016.
    Its 16221. I didn't make it to the store today but we'll plan to get some bleach tomorrow.

I did go test the water and it went from 8 part per million last night at 10:30 p.m. till one part per million at 7:30 p.m. tonight period

I added 5 ounces of 12% bleach and a product of 4 parts per million

I'm going to likely add another two and a half ounces and see where that gets me. But if the bleach is compromised I'm probably wasting my time.

Thanks

Rich

Edit I must be a little impatient. The 5 oz brought it to 7 ppm.