Considering a new pool..never owned one!

Mar 19, 2017
FL
Hi everyone, I'm new here..and thinking about being new to an above ground pool
I'm from fl so you know it's a great feature to any home....I'm hoping to get some advice on whether to take the plunge and go for it or not.
Splash pools is having a big sale, so it's a good time? 18 foot out the door for 2600(mid grade line) I'm not sure..
And also, I've heard of pristineblue and frog system from different people, bc I would like to use as little chlorine as possible.
Any advice is very welcomed please!!

Welcome to TFP :)

I can't give advise on an above ground purchase but if you "think" you'd enjoy having a pool then you probably will. As for sanitation methods you mentioned, that may cause you serious unwarranted headaches that might reduce your enjoyment of the pool.

I highly reccomend reading up in pool school on this sight about the ABC's of pool water chemistry. And I ask as you might want to ask yourself why the determination to use as little chlorine as possible?

Welcome to TFP. Feel free to ask questions.

HI! FLORIDA in the house! You will LOVE having a pool in FL!

That price, does it include the equipment? If so please share the specs so we can make sure it is the size you need.

Those two pool systems are NOT good ones. The best way to care for a pool is to use aSWG>Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Or balance the water using TFP guidelines as seen in the ABC's of Pools. If you have the proper FC/CYA relationship your water will NOT smell like chlorine as well as feel great!

Kim:kim:

It's an 18 foot round, comes with all the basics to start, pump filter vacuum steps etc. they have a $350 frog mineral system upgrade option....it's normally $3600 but some big inventory special right now so 2700 I got quoted for..I copied this from their site

• 7" Steel Top Ledges
• Steel Stablizers safely secure liner in place
• Steel coated uprights
• Heavy currogated wall with superior wall coatings
• 52" Wall Height
• Wall Saver Panel

• 20 mil Boulder Liner with 15 year warranty
• Cellular Media Filter
• Blue Torrent Pump 2 Speed
• Deluxe Skimmer
• Maintenance Equipment Includes: Vacuum
Pole, Vacuum Head and Vacuum Hose

• Deluxe Step Ladder Combo

"Cellular Media Filter" you need to find out some more info about this. What is the "cellular media"? What size is the filter?

Pump-2 speed is good. What HP is it?

Liner-what kind? Overlap, j-hook, beaded?

Just say no to the frog. It will cost you more in the long run in many ways. It adds minerals to your pool that will build up in time that can cause staining. As well as the replacement cost for the packs $$=OUCH.

I want you to have a nice pool. I want to make sure you get what you need and will make your life with a pool the best ever!

Kim:kim:

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will be glad you joined us.

We just installed our AGP last summer and have really enjoyed it so far. I was uncertain as well, but it was my wife that wanted it the most. If you are unsure, then an AGP is a good place to start without having to drop big money on an inground.

Be sure to ask for specific model numbers for the pump, filter, heaters, etc and ask about the various options/upgrades they offer. The sizing of the equipment can be just as important to make the maintenance as easy as possible. Feel free to post the info here and ask questions. Ask as much as you need to. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to give you free, and more importantly, honest advice. You luckily have a chance to get it right, right from the start.

I would recommend thinking long and hard about how you plan to maintain the sanitizer level (chlorine). There are a few different ways, each with its own benefits. Don't let the salesman talk you into ozone or UV. Many here will say that they do not provide a significant benefit as a chlorine supplement is still needed. Most store will also try to sell you a tablet chlorine feeder (aka Frog). They sound very attractive, but do have issues of their own. Read this How to How to Chlorinate Your Pool . It will help you understand the various methods. For that "Frog" option, I would say that it's not worth the money in my opinion. I would use that $350 and put it toward a salt water chlorine generator or a Stenner type chlorine pump. You can do a search for each on the site to get more information.
Yes, I did start with a cousin to the Frog, by a different mfg. As soon as I ran out of what the seller gave me, I realized at $20 a pop and one per week, if was going to get expensive. I started using liquid chlorine (bleach). The same amount of liquid chlorine is a small fraction of that cost and a better method.

Right after the pool was installed, I was so excited to get it running, I made the mistake of going to the pool store and buying a bunch of chemicals that the pool store recommended, only to find this gem of a forum 2 weeks later, reading & learning, and found that I didn't need 80% of what I just bought. Be careful with your other chemical choices. Read up on the general info in Pool School and there is a section for Construction .
As you are concerned about the chemicals around you, you should note that the TFP method in Pool School is all about only using what is absolutely necessary to keep a clean and sanitary pool.

Definitely go with at least a 2 speed pump. You will save on electricity this way. LS most of the time, with HS to clean or if you really need to get the water moving.

See if they have a demo of the ladder you are interested in. Make sure you would feel comfortable climbing in and out of the pool with it.

Take some time to browse around the forum and Pool School. Hopefully it will help you with your pool buying decisions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.