Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Removing Rust and Other Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Removing Rust and Other Stains

Hi. This forum is the greatest thing since the invention of the swimming pool. I've had great advice from here. We bought our home last year, which came with an old but structurally sound in-ground pool. It's age is showing, though. I'm posting to ask how I can remove rust stains and other marks from the surface. Here's a photo. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...otX2tXUy0zUHR3Any suggestions? Do I have to drain it and repaint it? Hope not. Thank you!
    32' x 16' x 8.5' heated IG, plaster, rectangular pool with attached spa. Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump. 36-gal DE filter. Teledyne Laars heater. One skimmer drain and one floor drain. Connected spa with two jets and floor drain. Approximately 40 yrs old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Removing Rust and Other Stains

Have you identified all the stains as metallic? Any organic staining?

Also, if metals are present you need to find the source or else treating the pool for stains is a lot like pouring oil into a car engine with a leaky crank case seal - you're just masking the problem.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Have you identified all the stains as metallic? Any organic staining?

Also, if metals are present you need to find the source or else treating the pool for stains is a lot like pouring oil into a car engine with a leaky crank case seal - you're just masking the problem.

I'm not sure how to identify the stains by type.
    32' x 16' x 8.5' heated IG, plaster, rectangular pool with attached spa. Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST Variable Speed Pump. 36-gal DE filter. Teledyne Laars heater. One skimmer drain and one floor drain. Connected spa with two jets and floor drain. Approximately 40 yrs old.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A vitamin c tablet rubbed on a metal stain should fade a metal stain. If it doesn't, then it isn't likely metal staining. A chlorine puck rubbed on an organic stain should fade an organic stain.

Try those methods is a good place to start.....and post back with results, questions
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

5. Back To Top    #5

More info here,
    Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach