K-2006 Nearing Expiration, Give up and go TF100?

May 16, 2015
Columbia, SC
I currently have a Taylor K-2006 that I purchased in August 2015. So far I've only had to replace the r0871/r0870 and I'm getting short again. Looking at the rest of the tests I see exp dates of 5/2017. I'd like to refill the bottles but that is looking very expensive. Buying refills from TF is almost expensive as a new kit, $50. The TF100 looks like a good refill option but according to TF's documentation their phenol red will not work with the k2006. No idea why. Is there an alternative or should I punt here and move onto the TF100?

Thanks for the help.

TFtestkits make sure all of the regents they sell are fresh and in date. I say that to let you know we had a member order some refills from Amazon last week. When they go them in and used them they noticed their tests were "off". It turns out the regents were out of date :(

The TF-100 has more of the regents you use on a daily basis. The customer service is second to none as well.

I will let you make up your own mind with the info above.

Kim:kim:

Chris, the K-2006 and the TF100 have different pH comparators, so the phenol red reagents are different concentrations. The R-0004 (in the K-2006) and R-0014 (in the K-1000) phenol red reagents are not interchangeable. As far as the costs for the reagent, there are a lot of online options. Just be careful to get “fresh” reagents when shopping online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in a similar position, need to refill TA, CH and CYA tests very soon. Looked at prices comparing refills for Taylor kit (I have the Taylor kit) and the TFT refills and other than there being a slight increase in cost for more solution 1 oz vs. .75 on the TFT refill I didn't see the cost savings OP mentions. Am I missing something? Not opposed to moving to the TFT test kit if there's additional savings on refills down the road. Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread, figured question is in-line with what you're asking. Mod, let me know if you'd prefer I create a new thread.

If I'm going to change test kits now would be the time when I'm refilling 3 of the 5 tests in my Taylor kit.

EDIT: Thought I'd add I by the XL refill of R-0870 & R-0871 and the 1 oz TFT100 refill for R-0012. The two larger bottles will fit in my test kit case if I lay them on the side, never had an issue with leaking. This year I was planning on buying the 8 oz bottle of R-0013 and just storing it in one of our seldom used cupboards rather than the case. For the savings I'm not that hung-up on having to have that seldom used test in my case.

Getting fresh reagents is extremely important. You never know how long many from online sources have been sitting. I know that TFTeskits will have them as fresh as can be had so any cost increase is worth it plus some more.

Given the cost to value ratio of good test results, this is one place I don't chance it. For me its comparable to buying cheap motor oil for your car. It just leaves too much in question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.