Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar blankets vs. liquid/tablet solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar blankets vs. liquid/tablet solar cover

Hi TFPers,
    This will be my second go around w/ a solar blanket. I ordered my 8 mil and it is in-shipment now. 1st go around, I got 2 seasons out of it. It did the job (i.e. prevent heat loss, protect from evaporation). After I ordered, I browsed around another site (INYO Pools) and I saw they had some alternative products I did not know about to work in lieu of a cover. Natural Chemistry Cover Free liquid and also a Solar Pill. Do either of those work, or more so work as well as a solar blanket? Also, wouldn't you have to be worried about the safety of such products as far as if the water if ingested, etc.? I can't even imagine what type of synthetic chemicals they are composed of which are now going in the water and exposing my 4 yr olds to.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar blankets vs. liquid/tablet solar cover

They are all basically the same, liquid, pills, fish, etc. They do work in perfect laboratory conditions. But, not not so much on your pool in your backyard. It works by putting a one molecule thick layer of alcohol on the pool to reduce evaporation. The problem is that even the slightest breeze will blow it all to one side. It is safe for your rug rats though.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

None of them are anywhere near the effectiveness of a 8 mil solar blanket in the real world.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Tx for the replies. I figured out of the "lab," the solar blanket would be the best idea.
    19k gal IG plaster, built '70s, probably resurfaced in '80s-'90s; Blue Haven Hayward filter C4520BHMB (Filbur FC-1275 cartridges); Hayward MaxFlo sp2302 VSP 1.5hp; 6 solar panels 288. sq. ft. total (142"x47.5" ea.) on 1 story hm; Pentair Compool LX220 Solar Controller; FlowVis flow meter; Maytronics Dolphin S200; AG 300 gal AquaTerra spa; TF-100 & Speedstir; gone: Pentair Challenger 3/4 HP 1 speed; Polaris 280