yes to thorns. the drifts are very very very thorny. no big deal though. i don't deadhead them throughout the season. they self clean. i shape as i want throughout season, but do my big cut backs in feb/marchish up here.

- - - Updated - - -

i deal with a local nursery my grandfather and father bought from when they had the business and i buy all my "different" kinda stuff from a local place that brings in most of thier stuff from NJ and Conn.

you know what's a great low growing that spreads out nicely. roseanne geranium. the perennial, not the annual. i have a 20' run that lines my front porch that has the little limes in the back. then pink drifts in the next row with fewer number and then the roseanne's which are purple in the front row. they spread out and cover al lthe bare area between the drifts if any and to the sidewalk.

when i do my landscaping for the pool i'm going to do the same thing with mass groupings of daylilies to break things up.

we just went to to the flower show in phili 2 weeks ago and i saw alot of vibrunum. i used to have a bunch of them and might try to find a few nicer colors for an area.

- - - Updated - - -

i thought of one more thing. if you start to use more coneflowers you have to remember to not let them seed cause the hybrids will seed and you will end up with all magnus for new growth which will choke out ur 20 dollar coneflower. got to cut em back before they seed. don't leave them for the birds for the winter.

Ditto on the perennial geranium. Great ground cover. But can it take full sun in the south?

Big Blue liriope is a excellent groundcover as well. Just needs an annual shearing with the mower or string trimmer.

Such great things to look into! I probably need to avoid anything that I need to watch for seeding. We're not very structured and knowing us we'd totally miss the window and end up with the Magnus (?) thing choking the other plants. Lol

Jim, do you have pictures of your landscaping that shows how the plants look in the landscape? I'm seeing so many beautiful ones close up but none that show me what they look like in a yard.

Going to look at azalea bushes, geranium, and big blue right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto on the perennial geranium. Great ground cover. But can it take full sun in the south?

Big Blue liriope is a excellent groundcover as well. Just needs an annual shearing with the mower or string trimmer.

mine gets full sun for over 12 hrs each day and even with 90 plus days it handles itself. i just water them each morning very early. without water each day forget it.

- - - Updated - - -

Such great things to look into! I probably need to avoid anything that I need to watch for seeding. We're not very structured and knowing us we'd totally miss the window and end up with the Magnus (?) thing choking the other plants. Lol

Jim, do you have pictures of your landscaping that shows how the plants look in the landscape? I'm seeing so many beautiful ones close up but none that show me what they look like in a yard.

Going to look at azalea bushes, geranium, and big blue right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'll have to pull some. i tend to shoot detailed shots to practice for my portraits. i do have some. I'll pull them tonight. some might be older when they were younger.

i just checked i have some on my active hard drive in lightroom right now. i'll put them up on the web and link it here when i do it tonight at some point.

don't worry about the seeding issue. it's literally mindless. when the last flower is spent or they look too crappy for your liking and go out and cut em to the ground. period. easy as that. they won't seed till later in the season. they will only choke off the parent plant. not other stuff. and even if it happened first year when the come up pull them and u are good. one year won't do it. but there is no way it will happen if you chop em down when the y start t die back. to go to seed it takes weeks.

i just said it cause i didn't even know the first year when i got them. my father told me. i didn't know they all came from the magnus version and something else.

i have some crazy looking ones don't I. that one that is a double bloom on top of each other. pink poodle is awesome.

ah i got nothing full frame. all i have is some double pink knock outs pushing their first set of blooms for the season and my wine & roses doing their first push also. I tend to shoot closeup detail like i said. this season i'll have to take some wide shots, but to tell you the truth at this point i have all my side of the house and my entire back yard ripped out and piled to be taken away. i'm kinda sick about it, but it all had to go.

IMG_8210 by Jim, on Flickr

knock outs double pink. this was early in season. i don't even have my mulch down yet. i'm still bare dirt cause i cleaned out everything that fall before for all new cedar mulch.

IMG_8829 by Jim, on Flickr

wine & roses doing their thing. these things push a crazy amount of blooms if you hack em back right after the first push. you are rewarded the following season. i don't mind taking them back hard cause i have cone flowers, phlox, and day lilies that surround them to pretty much cover them up while they grow back during the summer.

jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the knockout roses! We had some here in front of my window, but had to pull them all out due to rose rosette disease (I think that's what it's called), which is running rampant in our north Dallas area. Then you can't plant any roses there again for several years. My landscaping is pretty easy to maintain and when the day lillies are blooming, it looks really pretty. Love the flowers that shoot up from the Yucca. We also have larriope (sp?). I haven't done any work on the front landscape yet this season so still needs work and mulch! I think all this rain has made everything grow like crazy!!
6eea6c7b3d69313e73f80eabccc97caa.jpg
ce90100826f8c2dea59f679f6449e3d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.