Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landscaping

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscaping

We finally got our backyard landscaping and pool all finished (I'll post a few other pics to our thread soon) and now we're working on the front. Not sure if I can post about that here but you guys are so helpful with everything I wanted to try!

We ripped out some ugly bushes and a tree I've been hating on for 10 years but now we need to get something in to replace it. I have some flowers and a tree we bought but need some good ideas for curb appeal and low growing shrubs, etc.

This is what we have so far:
    . Some begonias, salvia, this ball tree thing... lol. If they don't work in the front we can put some in back and get something different.

Prefer lower maintenance and things that don't have to be replanted. We're in full sun most of the day.

Any ideas for this space?

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscaping

Love these:

Dwarf Daylilies

Have you seen "knockout" roses? They are almost fool proof LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Read this and see if it suits you -

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-s...6-0f23e7ec1b10

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmm.. I think I really like the Lemon Lime Nandina. Those Daylilies are gorgeous and they have some varieties at the nursery I'll have to look at. I also like the look of Hosta. Should I look at drift roses too or just knock-out?

It's a pretty large space. Any design ideas for people on a budget? ☺

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

5. Back To Top    #5

I know I have not been able to kill my knockout roses so..............LOL I have one of the blackest thumps you have ever seen

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ooh! Has Suz been around? She always has beautiful landscaping ideas.

7. Back To Top    #7

She has not been around for a little while. You can always PM her to give her a heads up. She is having work done to the inside of her house so busy with that.

Kim

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Are you sure those are begonias? They look more like impatiens, which need shade.

Hosta also needs shade to filtered sun. We adore Hosta and I have a mail order source for seriously unusual types
    (This year I ordered Zebra stripe Hosta, which was new last year and impossible to find: https://www.plantdelights.com/produc...-zebra-stripes )

If you belong to Costco check the great bulb selection that I saw there today. I picked up some nice ones and they have some for shade, some for full sun and some for mixed sun/shade. Not a bad price either.

Daylillies are wonderful, and we have tons of those too. They do well in hot sun. Not a terribly long bloom time but gorgeous when they are.

How about a big patch of Black Eyed Susans (perennial) which are tall, with lower annuals in front of them to fill in the bed?

Yippee
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Yippee!

We bought the begonias from a fundraiser. They're supposed to be Olympic mix begonias but they were selling impatiens too. How would I be able to know the difference? The tray of them without flowers yet right?

I'll look at the Black Eyed Susans. I was just thinking that annuals may turn out cheaper in the long run.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

The leaves of a begonia tend to be a bit glossier.

You can start things from seed in the back of the garden bed while you put out annuals this year in front. Then as the garden develops you'll figure out how to fill in the spaces. It looks to be a very sunny spot so find things that require sun.

This is what Skippy does yearly on our front porch with impatiens where we have shade-

192868_4363909537922_967788165_o.jpg

Yip
    Maddie- TFP Guide. 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Little lime hydrandgia (not the full size. little lime gets only 3x3 or 4x4) great foundation plant. color from late summer till freeze up in NE.
    Knock outs like mentioned. If you want somethign for infront of these little lime's then carpet rose's or even better drift roses. the bloos on them are 1000x more than knock outs even but again they are low growers.
    Any kinda coneflower other than the typical purple cause everyone has them. look for the hybrid varieties that have the fluffy tops.
    Day lilies. not the yellow or orange. look for double day lilies. look for hybrids. wacky colored ones.

these are my go to plants for anyone who wants color from early summer to winter. only pruning needed is at end of season and the roses should be pruned rigth before thaw out up here to push more growth. never before frost cause they need thier leaves during the winter for protection.

landscapers prune in the fall cause they aren't as busy and don't care out people's following year. ever flower has a proper pruning time. biggest thing to remember. they dont' all get pruned at once the same time of the year usually.

check out my flker account if you want to see some pics of diff stuff.

Echinacea purpurea &#x27;Guava Ice&#x27; by Jim, on Flickr

this will take you to the folder with some random stuff. I don't do any everygreen stuff. i like color.
    35x23/20 free form gunite 3.5-6 feet water. approx. 20,000 gallons. no spa or water features. 2 skim, 2 ret, floor ret, floor return. 2 inch solid. suction cleaning line. 1.5 inch solid. super blue diamond brite. NPT Gemstone Blue 2x2 with custom waterjet cut Disney Mickey markers. all pentair equipment. master temp 300,000 BTU. de 60. inteliflo 3.0 VS. swg ic40. 3 globrite LED lights. easy touch 4 with screen logic. tf-100/ salt kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Yippee, you were right! They're impatiens. I'm trying to see if they can still give us the begonias we actually ordered.

Thanks Jim! Some great ideas for me to look into there! And I love the look of the echinacea (which has the added herbal benefits and I can harvest for tea!)

Do the knock out and drift roses have thorns?

13. Back To Top    #13

Jim, those pictures are gorgeous! Love the daylily Night Embers. Do you have a place you get your plants from or do you go to a local nursery?

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmommy2009 View Post
    Do you have a place you get your plants from or do you go to a local nursery?
    This is where I get mine- Daylily Garden in Greenville SC: 700 Varieties : Daylilies Photos

Yippee

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Are you sure those are begonias? They look more like impatients, which need shade.
    I bought some sun loving Impatients last year. They did really well through the hot TEXAS sun from May to November. I know most are not but there are some that can handle the sun and heat. They actually surpassed my expectations.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Yes, we love those Sunpatiens too, but that's not what she bought either

Yippee

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Yes, we love those Sunpatients too, but that's not what she bought either

Yippee
    I am by far not an expert. Is that what the sun loving impatients are called? Sunpatients? They lasted a really long time.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

18. Back To Top    #18

I reached the lady I got them from and she knew one had been mis-delivered but didn't know where. They're going to swap it out for us on Wednesday.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Yes, both knockout and drift roses have plenty of thorns. One the Echinacea newer varieties is a mix called Cheyenne Spirit which I think is gorgeous. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/28432-product.html. A good casual sun perennial backdrop for echinacea is Russian sage. Daylillies fit right in with all those things. All of the above is if you are looking for a cottage garden style. It is informal, free flowing and does need an annual shearing. And the above is budget friendly.

For a bit more formality which is common for a front landscape (I like a combo myself) you would ideally have a mix or a few groupings of flowering evergreens as the backbone and front either with flowering perennials or other lower growing flowering ground covers. I'll leave the suggestions for your climate to others for that approach on the shrubs.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Flippy View Post
    I am by far not an expert. Is that what the sun loving impatients are called? Sunpatients? They lasted a really long time.
    Sunpatiens is probably a trademarked name, another is New Guinea Impatiens.

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...nea-impatiens/
    http://www.sunpatiens.com/page/The-SunPatiens-Family

Yip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast