Zero Suction

Mar 18, 2017
Miami/Florida
Have fine water flow on main drain, as soon as I open skimmer/vacuum line, the flow disappears completely. Regular pool service and others I've called can't find a problem - no leaks, no clogs, etc. Have closed main, turned off pump and with suction line open, can run water through it and into pool continuously. All seem baffled. What are we missing?

K,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all your pool questions... :snorkle:

Well for sure that does not sound right. How about a picture of your equipment pad showing us the piping and valves associated with the input to your pump.

Also.. Is this a new pool, if not, about how old is it? Has it worked before and suddenly quit working?

When you say Skimmer/Vacuum line, do you mean you have a Skimmer and a separate Vacuum line? Or do you mean that you connect your vacuum to the suction port under the skimmer basket?

When you look under you skimmer basket, there are two holes/ports. Are both ports open or is one of them plugged.

What you say makes no sense, so I'm just looking for more facts that might point us in the right direction..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Pool built in 1994. Everything working fine until a couple weeks ago - had to change diaphragm on barracuda - after I took vacuum out and did that, flow stopped.
Have not been able to prime since. Water flows fine with main drain open. As soon as I turn valve for vacuum even slightly open, flow stop.

** Says I do not have permission to load pictures

The picture shows 3 suction lines. Which line is the vacuum line?

If you have all three lines open, does the pump run with full prime?

If you have only the skimmer and main drain open, does the pump run with full prime?

The valve on the left is missing the grease port fitting. Those can break off and cause an air leak.

Try rigging a garden hose into the vacuum port and pushing water into the pump. You just need a few fittings.

Make sure that the vacuum line valve is open when using hose pressure.

The picture shows 3 suction lines. Which line is the vacuum line?

If you have all three lines open, does the pump run with full prime?

If you have only the skimmer and main drain open, does the pump run with full prime?

The valve on the left is missing the grease port fitting. Those can break off and cause an air leak.

Try rigging a garden hose into the vacuum port and pushing water into the pump. You just need a few fittings.

Make sure that the vacuum line valve is open when using hose pressure.

Vacuum is middle line. With valves turned as in picture, water is flowing (main open, vacuum and skimmer closed = no suction).
As soon as I even slightly open valve to suction, all flow immediately stops , not even a trickle slow down - no main flow, no skimmer suction, no vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.