Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test

Hello to All,

I Know the CYA test is the most subjective of all. However, wanted to run a few things by you guys:

1. When pouring in the solution to "block-out" the dot, what's the best way:

a. outside in sun?
    b. outside when cloudy or under a covered roof?
    c.. inside under a light?
    d. inside using natural light
    e. other?

2. I'm 6'4", so when it says hold tube by your side, I would say the reading w someone 5'4" is going to be diff. Is there any rule on making adjustments for this?

Thanks, tstex

PS - my last CYA went all the way to the top and I still saw the dot - I do believe, however, that the CYA had been highly diluted w lots of rain and all 8.25% bleach, but not a bad thing during winter for the FC - thanks again
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA test

1. Outside, in full sun with your back to the sun.

2. Hold it at your belt buckle. That's close enough for rock and roll, even for the tallest.

3 Squirt, glance, repeat. Don't stare at the dot. When you think the dot disappears, pour it back in the squirt bottle and do it again. Do it 2-3 times and average what you get.

e: 3b Pinch the top with 2 fingers, don't wrap your hand around the tube. You want as much ambient light into the tube as possible.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

Another simple trick is to go "digital" - just fill the tube up to the 100ppm mark. Can you still see the dot? Yes, then fill it up to the 90ppm mark. Can you still see the dot? Yes, then fill it up to the 80ppm mark. IS the dot still there? etc, etc, etc. TFP recommendations only matter to within 10ppm for CYA AND the test is only good to +/- 15ppm CYA so there's no point in trying to find the exact point at which the dot disappears...And, by turning you eyes away to fill up the tube each time, you avoid the problem of intentional staring which can make you "see" the dot even when it is not there....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Bruce & Matt,

Thanks, just what the Dr ordered - going to transfer info to my pool testing notes.

As suspected, I was under the assumption a suggestion test would indeed have a larger std deviation, but might as well do it as correct and precise as possible. I'm going to let me last acid additions take full impact and will post all my reading tomorrow am.

Thanks again, tstex
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward H400FD 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!