Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fill pool water after liner replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Fill pool water after liner replacement

What are options for filling the pool after a liner replacement? Our hose is tied to our main water and we get charged for sanitation which makes filling our pool ridiculous. Are there alternatives that I can consider?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fill pool water after liner replacement

How much will it cost to fill the pool?
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

How do I estimate that? After 3 summers, last year was our worst year due to a failing liner. We had a couple months where our bill was $400+. This was where we were filling the pool about once a week to raise up 3-5". We also have a medium sized pond water feature that we had to fill.
    New pool owner. 24.5K gallon IGP, vinyl, 1.24 Jandy FloPro pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Pentair IntelliChlor SWG, Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump, Polaris 360 auto cleaner, Pentair EasyTouch control system, 1 Skimmer, 2 floor drains, 2 returns. Full sun, no tree cover

4. Back To Top    #4

When we filled ours last fall, we only had one option, using the hose from the house supply. In talking with the PB, he said that some jurisdictions (less common today) allowed for you to pay the fire department to come out with a meter that attaches to the fire department, and then they'd only charge you for usage. Said it's mostly found today in really small towns, because most larger municipalities don't want to deal with the process overhead it creates. Either way, it wasn't an option where we live, I'm just throwing this out there because I guess it used to be common according to what he told me...
    Derek - November 2016 Build, Fill, Cover, and Close. Starting Equipment for the first time in Spring 2017: 26K IG 20x40 Vinyl, All Pentair: IntelliFlo VST 2, Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, EasyTouch 8, IntelliChem, IntelliChlor IC60 SWG, MasterTemp 250K NG Heater, GloBrite LED lights, Autelis Automation Integration, CoverStar Leading Edge Automatic Cover, Dolphin Quantum Robotic Cleaner, Interfab G-Force 2 slide, Interfab T7 diving board

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by itsme_lp23 View Post
    How do I estimate that? After 3 summers, last year was our worst year due to a failing liner. We had a couple months where our bill was $400+. This was where we were filling the pool about once a week to raise up 3-5". We also have a medium sized pond water feature that we had to fill.
    Holy cow!!! I'm in the land of "tax everything, even the air", in NY. However, even with a sprinkler system, my summer water bill is around $20 every two months and my sewer bill is $25 every two months. Although, I get bent over with school taxes, $9000 a year on a 60x100 property
    Doughboy 12' x 20' Saphire semi-AG, Installed 2012
    Waterway 1.5 HP 2 speed, 100 sqft cartridge filter
    Aprox 7000 Gal, Full sun, 85K heat pump,
    TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

What are options for filling the pool after a liner replacement? Our hose is tied to our main water and we get charged for sanitation which makes filling our pool ridiculous. Are there alternatives that I can consider?
    You might call your water dept and see what they say. Ours only charges sewer fees based on Jan-march for houses but everyone else is directly tied like yours is. However, if it's directly tied, i can call in and say "I'm filling the pool and it holds xx,000 gallons" and they'll not count that towards the sewer fee.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Call your local town or whoever charges for water. In my area they have a provision to allow one pool fill per year. They take a reading before and after you fill the pool. They then only charge you the water portion of the difference. Look on their website or call them to see if they do this.
    An alternative is to check around to see if there is a water trucking service that can fill your pool. These trucking services are usually more expensive than filling from your house hose though.