algae or pollen?

The water temp is 65
    I have a Taylor kit k2006
    Fc is 3.5 cc is 0. (All winter long)
    Alk is 110
    Cya is 75
    Ch is 340
    My pH runs high 8.0 but I check it bi monthly in winter to keep it at 7.6
    Yet 8 weeks ago i noticed what looked like mustard algae in a corner. Pool gets full sun. I brushed it off. I came back about 9+ days later. It brushes right off. Comes back a few weeks later. Today it was on most of the bottom. Clogs filter. I've cleaned it 3 times in 6 weeks. Slimy stuff. I sprayed it with deliuted bleach this time. I do have lots of pollen. It floats on the surface but I did not think it sank.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pool Finished 2013 13.5K rectangular plaster. 3.5' on ends, 5.5' in center
    Solar (connected to EasyT)
    Pentair Easytouch 4 Two Body System w/ remote
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, IC40 SWG, 150 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: algae or pollen?

Sounds like your flow throughout the pool may be a little inadequate. Got a pic of the pool water? Have you done an OCLT?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That was my thought. I keep the pump at very low speed. Just enough the enable flow sensor on swg. I do not know how to add a pic. But the water is very clear. The last thing you mention I do not know what that is.

- - - Updated - - -

OCLT ok I see. I can do that. I check it even in the winter. It has always been steady at 3.5-4

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Reread it. It is a test for chlorine loss over a period of time.....not a static measurement

Have you read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes. I understand. Was just saying I do check the chemistry in the winter months. I see that this test could let me know if I have alage or something else. I did increase the pump speed to help skim the pollen off the surface better.

Thank you

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested 6:00pm : fc 5 cc 0
    Tested 8:30am : fc 5 cc 0
    No loss of chlorine. So you can test for algae. What a huge tip. When I was new to this the pool store would tell me you can't test for algae. I haven't been there in 2 years.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by thomspool View Post
    When I was new to this the pool store would tell me you can't test for algae. I haven't been there in 2 years.
    Good answer!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

You guys were spot on with filtration issues. I soaked the filter in dishwasher detergent and that made a huge improvement. I would rely on the pressure guage to indicate cleaning time but just a few psi increase did not indicate that the outflow was so low. You think adding an additional gauge elsewhere would help me monitor the outflow?

9. Back To Top    #9

There is a better gauge available for cheap at TFTestkits.net. We recommend cleaning when the pressure rises 20-25% above clean pressure.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach