Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leaking push/pull backwash valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Leaking push/pull backwash valve

OK, need to input. 5 out of the five times I have backwashed my filter, the push/pull valve has developed a small leak at the top around base of the handle. Each time, the PB has sent the warranty people out to repair it. Not sure what was done the first two times (replaced O rings?) but it fixed the leak. They last time, They replaced the valve and stopped the leak.

A few days ago, I backwashed and then took the filter apart and cleaned the grids. After putting it back together, I now have another leak at the base of the push/pull handle!!! Each time prior to engaging the handle to open the valve to backwash, I have made certain the pump as been off.

I can't imagine what is causing a leak to start ALMOST EACH AND EVERY TIME! Any ideas?

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leaking push/pull backwash valve

Here's the manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49760088,d.eWE

Looks like it may be the top o-ring #6, it's a standard 227 O-ring, maybe try a #227 O-ring in Viton. Also check the condition of the tube to ensure there are no buildups/ridges or such to damage the O-ring.

This is link O-ring handbook. More info than you'll want to know: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PJ9NY8BSvZICkg

Hope the info helps.
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    Here's the manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49760088,d.eWE

Looks like it may be the top o-ring #6, it's a standard 227 O-ring, maybe try a #227 O-ring in Viton. Also check the condition of the tube to ensure there are no buildups/ridges or such to damage the O-ring.

This is link O-ring handbook. More info than you'll want to know: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...PJ9NY8BSvZICkg

Hope the info helps.
    Thanks! Any thoughts on why it has had to be replaced three times in 6 months?

Matt- IG gunite pool and spa built Summer 2016: 32' x 20' overall with two 4' x 8' tanning ledges. 6'x6' attached spa with spillover. Depth 3' to 5' to 4'. 16.4K gal. Lueders Limestone retaining wall and coping. Equip: Pentair SVRS vari. speed pump. Pentair 60 sq. ft. DE filter. Pentair Kreepy Crawly Plat. cleaner. Pentair MasterTemp 400,000 BTU NG heater. 1.5 HP spa air blower. Nature2 Sanitizer. Taylor K-206C. My 2016 Build

4. Back To Top    #4

What are your test readings? Could be a burr or such on the inside tube or ? Water chemistry out of wack? Excessive pressure? You could inspect the o-ring and see if there's anything abnormal about it. It it seeping or does it come out dripping continuously?

Check the Maintenance procedures, it gives what to look for/fixes.

Are you bumping the filter when it's on hi or low pressure? It may take high pressure to set/seat the o-ring, then go to low pressure.
    Murrieta, CA. 15K (Est) pool/spa. Hayward Tristar SP3220EE 2.70HP pump, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge filter C4025 425sqft (PA106), Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. TF-100/Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown View Post
    What are your test readings? Could be a burr or such on the inside tube or ? Water chemistry out of wack? Excessive pressure? You could inspect the o-ring and see if there's anything abnormal about it. It it seeping or does it come out dripping continuously?

Check the Maintenance procedures, it gives what to look for/fixes.

Are you bumping the filter when it's on hi or low pressure? It may take high pressure to set/seat the o-ring, then go to low pressure.
    Test results are on target. Will check on the burr but as I said, the PB replaced the last push/pull valve...this one leaks as well.pressure is on target. I'll visually inspect the O ring.

6. Back To Top    #6

I feel your pain! Mine is doing the exact same thing! Pentair as well. I called today to have it replaced under warranty a second time!
    32' 4" by 22' 4" Free Form Gunite Pool. 478 Sq Ft surface area, 95' perimeter, 14,895 Gallon Play Pool. Pentair SVRS, 60 Sq ft DE Filter, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump. 500 Watt LED light. Tegulia Table, Tanning Ledge and 3 Step entry. Plaster: Wet Edge Satin Matrix - Anitgua

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsgram View Post
    I feel your pain! Mine is doing the exact same thing! Pentair as well. I called today to have it replaced under warranty a second time!
    I just don't get it either....Oh well, eventually they will fix it permanently...hopefully.

Just saw where you are from Rockwall! I'm in Rowlett! Maybe our supply of Pentair Push/pull's are bad

8. Back To Top    #8

I know this post is a year old, but I just learned something that may help others.

I was having the same problem.

When you close the valve, don't rotate it so that the pin is all the way to the 'closed' position. Just turn it about half way, so that it's under the lip, but not fully seated.

What I think is happening is turning it all the way is over tightening the o ring and causing it to deform and let water by.

And it's a small world. I'm in Wylie and assuming your login is an abbreviation of your name, I think we share a last name.

--------
    10k-18k gallon Gunite pool Approximately 4-6 years old
    Blue Haven built w/ all Blue Haven equipment
    Barracuda G2 'pool boy'