Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another question about 120v to 12v conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another question about 120v to 12v conversion

I've been reading topics all over the internet about converting a 120v incandescent pool light to 12v and I just can't seem to get a good feeling about it. Every thread I've read seems to have complications about shorted wiring, tripping GFCI, damaged conduit, etc... and seem to go off on a myriad of reasons not to do it. I would like to believe my situation is different, so I'm posting - yet another - 120v to 12v conversion thread.

I have an older pool with a Pentair 120v niche housing directly running back to my equipment pad. No above ground conduit or junction boxes till you get to the pad. The control center is a Polaris EOS and is about 5' above water level. The 120v light has worked for years, but I do have to replace the bulb every couple of years due to heavy use. We run the lighting a lot since we do most of our swimming at night due to the heat in Texas. I want to convert to 12v LED lighting for both the lower operating cost, longer bulb life, color changing features, and perceived safer operating voltage. I considered replacing the housing, cable and conduit, but the expense is huge due to it running under concrete deck and pool house. I had a contractor look into it when I had the pool refinished 5 years ago and they said the cable was stuck in the conduit and it would they would have to dig up the entire conduit run at a cost of about $5000.

In this situation, why couldn't I disconnect the lighting wire running at the control box on the pad, hook it to a 12v transformer, and replace the 120v incandescent bulb with a 12v LED bulb? On the surface, it would seem to be a simple task. I'm just sending 12v through the existing cable rated for 120v to the housing in the pool where a 12v LED bulb sits, right? The transformer would be plugged into GFCI at my equipment pad. It seems like this solution would get me the results I want, for about $500

What am I overlooking here?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yet another question about 120v to 12v conversion

Pool lights should not be modified in any way. It's a safety issue. Any safety ratings are as originally manufactured. When you change the volts and amps, things might not work correctly.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.

3. Back To Top    #3

But doesn't a normal thermostat in a house run off a 12 volt transformer from a 110 circuit?

I'm kinda thinking that if the house hasn't burned down then the pool won't blow up! Admittedly I know nothing about water and electricity.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

You need to get a new fixture, either 120v or 12v but both come in LED.

Pentair IntelliBrite LED Pool Light - LED Spa Light - INYOPools.com
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

.......but I know that JamesW and mas985 sure do!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

mon,

Since you can't get the cable out, but it still works, another option would be to install a color changing LED bulb that works off of 115 VAC.

I have never used one and have no idea how bright they would be compared to a standard pool light bulb.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    But doesn't a normal thermostat in a house run off a 12 volt transformer from a 110 circuit?

I'm kinda thinking that if the house hasn't burned down then the pool won't blow up! Admittedly I know nothing about water and electricity.
    Many thermostats run on 24 volts AC. That is the voltage that they are designed to use.
    Electrical design considers many factors including voltage, amps etc. The specifications for insulation, wire size etc depends on these factors.

Any modification to a product like a pool light should only be done under the supervision of a qualified engineer.
    Support the site

Trouble Free Pool is a free resource. The people who answer questions are volunteers. If you find the site to be a good resource, please consider making a donation to help support the site. Thanks.