how to clean a clogged cartridge filter

TIMMAH

Jun 16, 2009
my mother just bought the house across the street from me for a winter home. the pool is a swamp. we shocked the pool and it's blue but very cloudy. we bought a new cartridge filter and it started off at 9lbs. ran it for a few hours and it was up to 20lbs. we rinsed it and it started at 14lbs and ran it to 20 lbs, rinsed it again and it started at 19lbs.

we tried dish washer soap and it helped if you let it sit for a day. but the filter needs cleaning every few hours :shock:
but there's not much coming off the filter when we go to clean them.

any tips

i read that two days ago when the new filter was reading 19lbs on start up. so i went and got some cascade. but they need to soak for a while to use them again. down time is killing me even with 3 filters. we clogged 3 filters today and there all soaking right now.

looks like i've been running too much pressure. could the few extra LBS be making that much of a difference? new filter was at 9lbs and we ran it to 11lbs over.

what about coating the filter with de power? that way the junk never hits the filter.

i read the post about a skimmer sock. think that would help?

I would not use DE, it can clog a cart. You can use a cellulose DE substitute but I don't think it will solve the problem. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and hose off the cart using a high pressure, small bore, non adjustable brass nozzle until you get the junkout of the pool. Remeber that you do not have to clean the cart until you get an 8 psi rise over base pressure.

Most likely, the underlying problem is that you have a cartridge filter that is too small for your pool/pump. You didn't say the size of the filter, pool, or pump, but that is the most likely explanation for what you describe.

fliter is a hayward c900
filtration 90 sq. ft
90gpm
it has a new 1hp motor and wet end
with no filter in it, it runs 9lbs of pressure
with the new filter it ran 9lbs too.

pool is around 12,000 gal
27ft oval with 4/5 5ft and a few feet of 3ft

flintstone said:
The use of a skimmer sock is an excellent idea. Check it frequently. Do you think the filter you are using is sized correctly for the pool?
? don't know. i've lived next door for 10 years and it's the same filter they have been using since i moved here.

EDIT update. i wasn't using high pressure. i had read on some site not to use high pressure. so i just cleaned the new filter that was at 20 lbs and it started at 11lbs. that's lower than it had started the time before. i'm guessing with a few hour soak in cascade and high pressure rinse i'll be able to get them clean.

TIMMAH said:
fliter is a hayward c900
filtration 90 sq. ft
90gpm

pool is around 12,000 gal
27ft oval with 4/5 5ft and a few feet of 3ft

EDIT update. i wasn't using high pressure. i had read on some site not to use high pressure. so i just cleaned the new filter that was at 20 lbs and it started at 11lbs. that's lower than it had started the time before. i'm guessing with a few hour soak in cascade and high pressure rinse i'll be able to get them clean.
Please reread this thread, It will help. Pay particular attention t the type of nozzle to use and how to use it. Your cart is slightly undersized for your pool. My pool and spa together are under 7k gal and my cart is 150 sq ft!
how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

update, we vacuumed to waste two days in a row. there was lots of sand on the bottom and what looks like fish tank gravel. we can see a few ft down now and the cartridge filters are lasting for 6-8 hr's now. there still is a lot of dirt floating in the water but it's blue. it's been 9 days since we started. it's nice to see some progress. but the pool is leaking again. but i'll start a new post for that one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.