Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how to clean a clogged cartridge filter

1. Back To Top    #1

how to clean a clogged cartridge filter

my mother just bought the house across the street from me for a winter home. the pool is a swamp. we shocked the pool and it's blue but very cloudy. we bought a new cartridge filter and it started off at 9lbs. ran it for a few hours and it was up to 20lbs. we rinsed it and it started at 14lbs and ran it to 20 lbs, rinsed it again and it started at 19lbs.

we tried dish washer soap and it helped if you let it sit for a day. but the filter needs cleaning every few hours
    but there's not much coming off the filter when we go to clean them.

any tips
    Pool
    12,000 IG vinyl
    hayward c900. 90 sq.ft cartridge
    1hp motor flow rate?

spa
    400 gallons
    2012 hotsprings vangard

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how to clean a clogged cartridge filter

how are you rinsing it?
    Perhaps this thread will help
    how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

3. Back To Top    #3

i read that two days ago when the new filter was reading 19lbs on start up. so i went and got some cascade. but they need to soak for a while to use them again. down time is killing me even with 3 filters. we clogged 3 filters today and there all soaking right now.

looks like i've been running too much pressure. could the few extra LBS be making that much of a difference? new filter was at 9lbs and we ran it to 11lbs over.

what about coating the filter with de power? that way the junk never hits the filter.

i read the post about a skimmer sock. think that would help?
    Pool
    12,000 IG vinyl
    1hp motor flow rate?

spa
    400 gallons
    2012 hotsprings vangard

4. Back To Top    #4

I would not use DE, it can clog a cart. You can use a cellulose DE substitute but I don't think it will solve the problem. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and hose off the cart using a high pressure, small bore, non adjustable brass nozzle until you get the junkout of the pool. Remeber that you do not have to clean the cart until you get an 8 psi rise over base pressure.

5. Back To Top    #5

The use of a skimmer sock is an excellent idea. Check it frequently. Do you think the filter you are using is sized correctly for the pool?
    20K inground gunite w/ Aqua Logic automation and chlorination Sta-Rite 400 K natural gas heater and cartridge filter 2 HP pump 1.5 HP spa bubbler for spillover spa 1 HP dedicated Letro Legend cleaner
    H2O: two parts Heart and one part Obsession. ~Author Unknown

6. Back To Top    #6

Most likely, the underlying problem is that you have a cartridge filter that is too small for your pool/pump. You didn't say the size of the filter, pool, or pump, but that is the most likely explanation for what you describe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

fliter is a hayward c900
    filtration 90 sq. ft
    90gpm
    it has a new 1hp motor and wet end
    with no filter in it, it runs 9lbs of pressure
    with the new filter it ran 9lbs too.

pool is around 12,000 gal
    27ft oval with 4/5 5ft and a few feet of 3ft

Quote Originally Posted by flintstone
    The use of a skimmer sock is an excellent idea. Check it frequently. Do you think the filter you are using is sized correctly for the pool?
    ? don't know. i've lived next door for 10 years and it's the same filter they have been using since i moved here.

EDIT update. i wasn't using high pressure. i had read on some site not to use high pressure. so i just cleaned the new filter that was at 20 lbs and it started at 11lbs. that's lower than it had started the time before. i'm guessing with a few hour soak in cascade and high pressure rinse i'll be able to get them clean.
    Pool
    12,000 IG vinyl
    1hp motor flow rate?

spa
    400 gallons
    2012 hotsprings vangard

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by TIMMAH
    fliter is a hayward c900
    filtration 90 sq. ft
    90gpm

pool is around 12,000 gal
    27ft oval with 4/5 5ft and a few feet of 3ft

EDIT update. i wasn't using high pressure. i had read on some site not to use high pressure. so i just cleaned the new filter that was at 20 lbs and it started at 11lbs. that's lower than it had started the time before. i'm guessing with a few hour soak in cascade and high pressure rinse i'll be able to get them clean.
    Please reread this thread, It will help. Pay particular attention t the type of nozzle to use and how to use it. Your cart is slightly undersized for your pool. My pool and spa together are under 7k gal and my cart is 150 sq ft!
    how-to-clean-a-cartridge-filter-t4465.html

9. Back To Top    #9

update, we vacuumed to waste two days in a row. there was lots of sand on the bottom and what looks like fish tank gravel. we can see a few ft down now and the cartridge filters are lasting for 6-8 hr's now. there still is a lot of dirt floating in the water but it's blue. it's been 9 days since we started. it's nice to see some progress. but the pool is leaking again. but i'll start a new post for that one.
    Pool
    12,000 IG vinyl
    1hp motor flow rate?

spa
    400 gallons
    2012 hotsprings vangard