New Build - Central PA (First Time Pool Owner)

psualum

Bronze Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
Douglassville, PA
Well, we've finally made the plunge into the pool building process. Looking to build a pool in Central Pennsylvania and have spoken to a number of different PB's. Have a number of quotes and we are trying to lock in what we want. Below is equipment contained one of the quotes that is most favorable to us. We are likely to make some changes (i.e. Changing to SWCG). Could you please give me your thoughts/suggestions? If I were to change to SWCG, what equipment would I not need from the list, what would I need? What SWCG equipment would you suggest? Costs, etc? I look forward to your suggestions and comments as I really want to do this right from the get go. Here is what is in the quote:

650 sq ft free form pool (3'-8')
DE filter (model quoted: DEV60)
Jandy Stealth (2 hp model quoted)
AquaCal SQ120R electric heater (120,000 BTU)
Frog
2 skimmers/5 returns
Polaris 360 cleaner
stamped concrete decking (700 sq ft)
2 LED pool lights
AquaBrite finish

Thank you all for your help. We are really excited to get started, if our 20 inches of snow disappear any time soon.

P,

I suggest that you make sure that the pump you get is a Variable Speed pump.

I believe the SWCG will replace the Frog.. You will love having a SWCG...

I would "assume" that an electric heater would be very expensive to operate..???

Suggest you look at getting a robot instead of the Polaris.. See this thread... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVyeP7k-DSAhUG7SYKHRaICmsQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F120447-First-Robotic-Cleaner-Doheny-s-Discovery&usg=AFQjCNF7QGio9kpCzaS2BOtLOgO6r_gRkw

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim:

What is the benefit of the variable speed pump?

From reading the forum, I agree that it appears that the SWCG would replace the frog

As for the heater, I'm sort of limited where I live. No natural gas. I guess propane would be an option (would need a tank, etc). I had spoken to a few others who talked up the electric heat pumps. Any info on them specifically as the pertain to cost of operation?

Noted, regarding the robot vs. Polaris.

Again, much appreciated!

3' is mighty shallow. Please hold a tape measure up to you and see where it falls. Most people cannot do a full crawl stroke without brushing their knuckles on the bottom. I would think about at least 3.5' AND make sure your PB knows that is what you want for water depth (from bottom of pool to middle of skimmer face) and not measured from bottom of pool to the coping.

nix the frog and go with the SWG.

Check your electric rates as you think about which heater to get.

Kim:kim:

P,

The advantage of a VS pump is the low cost to run them.. About 75% to 90% less than single speed pumps.

For reference I can run my VS 3 HP Intelliflo, at 1,200 RPM, 24/7, for less that $20 per month.

With a SWCG you will need to run your pump long enough to generate the chlorine you need to sanitize your pool. The reason I run at 1,200 is because that is about the minimum speed I need to ensure the flow through the SWCG is enough to turn it on.

Sorry, I thought is was an electric heater, which is different than a Heat Pump...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim....I've seen other posts on the forum indicating that the poster feels that the VS pump is overkill and that a 2-speed is sufficient. Being new at this, I'm assuming that the 2 speed would be used on a timer as opposed the VS which would be set to lower rmp's to run all of the time?

Jim....I've seen other posts on the forum indicating that the poster feels that the VS pump is overkill and that a 2-speed is sufficient. Being new at this, I'm assuming that the 2 speed would be used on a timer as opposed the VS which would be set to lower rmp's to run all of the time?

It is somewhat subjective... If you calculate ROI (Return on Investment) it can take longer to pay back the original investment with a variable speed pump, because they cost more than a two-speed pump.

But I am not much of an ROI guy. I did not install a pool as an investment, I bought it for the enjoyment. For me, a VS pump is more enjoyable because I can set it to whatever speed suits the situation..

As an example, I can run very slow just to generate chlorine, and then I can speed it up a little to skim better, and when my waterfall wall comes on the pump ramps up to the exact speed that makes the water fall look the best.

Will a two speed pump work, sure it will, will it do all the things a VS pump will do? Not close.. (I am a tad biased...) :cool:

As far as HP goes, some people say that 3 HP is way too much. And that would be true if I ran my pump at 3 HP, but that it the beauty of a VS pump. It really could be called a variable HP pump.. you pick the HP that works for you and saves you the most money on your electrical bill.

Two speed or Variable speed, it is up to you.. just do not get a single speed pump, except for maybe a water feature...

Thanks,

Jim R.

After much investigation and reading on this forum, we've decided to drop the frog and have changed our plans to go with a SWCG and a VS pump. Feel very good about the decision and can't wait for the install. Currently waiting on permits before the big dig commences. One other question though, we are planning on having stamped concrete installed. I've heard from some others that the stamped concrete can be slippery. We have young kids that are going to be around the pool and the slipperyness of the concrete concerns us. Any thoughts?

I'm doing stamped concrete on my build this summer and was told they can add something to give it grip

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, that time has arrived! Its build time!!!! So happy to begin this process. The dig started yesterday and we ran into rock today. At least we are almost at depth so hoping that the jackhammer can clear the rock out early next week and then on to the next stage. Will try to add some photos as we move along.

Attachments

• IMG_3676.jpg
    IMG_3676.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3693.jpg
    IMG_3693.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 279
General Question: pool contract calls for a Jandy DEV60 filter. Pump is a vs Jandy. I was just reviewing the plan from the PB and now on the General Specifications it lists the filter as a DE6000. After a quick internet search, it looks like that may be a Hayward filter and not a Jandy. Couldn't find a ton of info regarding that model number. I have a few questions:

1. If I want to automate in the future, isn't it important to have the pump/filter the same manufacturer?
2. Anyone have any comments regarding the quality of one vs. the other? Is the DE6000 an older model that the PB may be trying to offlload on me without knowing?
3. The SWCG quoted with the pool is an AquaCal Autopilot. If the brand of the SWCG is different than the pump/filter will that also cause issues with automation? Note, the heat pump is also an AquaCal.

Any advice/info is much appreciated. ...The things we notice on Easter morning. Happy Easter to all.

P,

The three important things that need to be the same brand for a smooth automation system would be.. the Pump, the SWCG, and the Automation system itself.

Using the same brand for these three items makes it very easy for them to communicate with each other.

This is a general rule and there are some exceptions, but the safe bet is using the same brand.

Even using the same brand, is often not enough. As an example... the Pentair EasyTouch is designed to control the Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, but does not control the Pentair Superflo VS pump, without jumping through hoops.

My point is, you should either get automation when the pool is built, as it is an easier install, or at least talk with your PB about what you want to do in the future and have him install the compatible equipment now.

The filter has no electronics, so it is not an issue.

It is kind of odd, as most Pool Builder, usually stick with the same brand.. all Pentair, all Jandy, All Hayward, etc..

You might want to tell him what you want before going to far down this path.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Woohoo! Rock crew finally showed yesterday and was able to clear out the remaining rock without much difficultly (still took the entire day). Happy it wasn't worse. Plumbing has started today and I hope to have some pictures of that up later today or tomorrow. For now, here are some rock dig photos and the pool once ready for the plumbing.image1.jpg

Great news that the rocks weren't SO bad! I look forward to seeing plumbing pics, but I'm SUPER EXCITED to see your AquaBright pics. Please take lots of installation photos. I can live vicariously through you. Have you selected the finish color?

Great news that the rocks weren't SO bad! I look forward to seeing plumbing pics, but I'm SUPER EXCITED to see your AquaBright pics. Please take lots of installation photos. I can live vicariously through you. Have you selected the finish color?

We are torn between Kona Coast, Blue Mist and Blue Lagoon. PB is going to take us to some already constructed pools with the different colors to help us make our decision. Had decision to make without seeing them in use. I'm leaning towards one of the blues.

With regard to pictures, I'm pretty new to the forum. Only 1 out of like every 10 photos from my iphone will upload onto this forum. It says the rest are too big. Any suggestions from the long time forum users?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.