Slurping/snorkeling sound where water runs back in AGP

Jun 15, 2009
Clarksville TN
I just got my first 24ft round AGP installed Saturday. The guy gave me a 3 minute class on how to start the Hayward Power Flo LX pump and DreamLine Sand Filter and do a backwash and I remember he said if there is air just open the air valve and if there is still air then open it again. However he gave me a lot of info in 3 minutes and I can't remember if he said to turn the pump of when I open the air valve or not so I decided to always turn the pump off when I messed with the Filter.

So when the pool was filled Sunday I opened all valves turned the handle on backwash, started the pump, then turned the pump off and turned the handle to rinse, turned the pump on and then off again and set the handle to Filter, closed the Air valve, turned the pump back on and let the pump do its thing. At first everything went fine and then there it was.....that ugly snorkeling sound coming from where the water runs back in the pool from the filter.

They did not leave me no instruction. Soooooooo maybe someone here can help? I am assuming its Air in there somewhere. I did another Backwash and rinse but that did not help. How do I get the Air out?

It only does the sound for maybe 3-5 second about 4-5 times a hour. Comes and goes and then there is a small swirl where the water runs back in the pool. Maybe it is normal? Anyone? Please help. :|

Leave the pump on when opening the air valve. You want the water to push the air out.

Check to see that you didn't drop the water level below the mark on the skimmer plate when you backwashed.

I betting it's not air trapped in the filter if it's doing 4-5 times an hour.
It sounds like the same thing mine dose. The force of the water returning to the pool starts a small whirlpool above your return and it starts sucks air down into the return jet making that nose. Nothing to worry about :-D

98xc600 said:
I betting it's not air trapped in the filter if it's doing 4-5 times an hour.
It sounds like the same thing mine dose. The force of the water returning to the pool starts a small whirlpool above your return and it starts sucks air down into the return jet making that nose. Nothing to worry about :-D

Great thanks. That would explain why the snorkeling is worse if we point the return yet downwards and less if we turn it upwards. It does not bother me that much since the Hubby is a snorer and I am used to hearing snorkeling sounds all night long :lol: and the neighbors just gonna have to deal with it! :twisted:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.