New guy with test results

Joe M

Oct 1, 2016
Chino Hills, Ca
Hello all! I just fired my pool guy and want to DIY my pool maintenance.

I am using Taylor TF-100 Kit. Just ran a test right now and came back with these numbers:

FC: 9ppm

CC: 0 (remained clear after adding drops)
pH: 7.8
TA: 160
CH: 300 ppm
CYA: 80

Water looks clear but does have some brownish stains along the walls. I cleaned my filter two weeks ago and added fresh DE.

What are my next steps?

Here is the info I would put in my signature, but it keeps telling me, BB code font is not allowed."???

----------------

18,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with overflowing spa
Crystal Water Aqua Clean DE Filter (48sq/ft)
Pentair WhisperFlow Pump

I have a set of links for you. It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

For right now your numbers look okay. Your TA is a little high but that is the last thing we work on so we can wait a little while for you to get used to testing and taking care of your pool.

Kim:kim:

I have a set of links for you. It is a LOT of info. so take it a bite at a time.

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

For right now your numbers look okay. Your TA is a little high but that is the last thing we work on so we can wait a little while for you to get used to testing and taking care of your pool.

Kim:kim:

Thanks Kim. That will keep me busy for a bit! Thanks for the info...

Algae (of any kind) generally brushes off, stains do not.

I would suggest you continue to maintain your pool water as is for about 4 days or so and, when you are comfortable with maintaining your water, then tackle the stains.

It'll be fairly easy, I think, to identify the stain and get rid of it. Post a pic of the stain when you get a chance.

First time pool owner. Bought the house which was a foreclosure in 2008. Had a pool man from the time of purchasing the home up until January 2017. Have since fired him and have been vacuuming, skimming, adding bleach myself. Here is my set up:

IMG_2055_zpsevacfsrw.jpg

Here are the stains:

IMG_2062_zpsxzpijwan.jpg

IMG_2061_zps0ljeygag.jpg

What are the purpose of these valves?

IMG_2063_zps5dbq1kqt.jpg

When I turn the bottom one bubbles flow from the jets in the spa. The other just sounds like its draining somewhere????

Is there a trick to changing out the white plastic covers at the bottom of pool and spa? Back in late august I tried swimming to the bottom and using a slotted screw driver to loosen the screws but they wouldn't budge…

If switching out the lights, do I need to drain the water below the level of the lights? Obviously I would shut off power at the breaker first…

I need a new pool timer box (old, surface rust, latch missing). Do they sell just the latch or someone have an idea how to fix it?

Heater has never worked since we moved in back in 2008. My old pool man told me its an electrical issue/s

Anyone see anything I should change in the plumbing? Adding a valve, etc?

I would like to eventually like to build a shed just to the left of the heater to house pool equipment (hoses, skimmer, poles, etc). When doing that I would also level out the ground the heater, pump, and filter are sitting on and make a better “bed” for that stuff to lay on (gravel).

And I know, I have to weed and cut the grass :)

Attachments

• IMG_2061_zps0ljeygag.jpg
    IMG_2061_zps0ljeygag.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 17

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.