Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used Pool Solar Panel sideways layout

1. Back To Top    #1

Used Pool Solar Panel sideways layout

Hello all,

I am looking to buy used solar panels and I am trying to figure out the best way to connect the panels to each other. I will be installing them in my yard and I have limited space.
    I have about 10ft front to back and about 28 ft side to side.

I may be buying fafco 4x10 panels or 4x 12 panels. I will have room for 4 panels. I will have to install them in the following layout. Which is basically two 20ft rows of panels

----------10ft---------- ----------10ft---------
    4ft 4ft 4ft 4ft
    ---------10ft---------- ---------10ft----------

----------10ft---------- ----------10ft---------
    4ft 4ft 4ft 4ft
    Intake---10ft---------- ---------10ft----------

The water will be connected on the leftside. What is the best way to connect the 4 panels together to make sure they all fill evenly and efficiently.

Some additional info:

Pool is 13x19ft only about 9k-10k gallons
    Pentair variable speed pump
    Pool Facing north and screen enclosed in South Florida
    I already have a wooden rack custom built and had cheap panels successfully running heating up my pool 10 degrees (90degrees) warmer for 2 years. The panels started to get brittle and leak. they were straw like plastic material, Unlike the the rubbery feel of Fafco brand.

I figure I would buy some used "good brand" panels like Fafco or heliocol at 20-50$ per panel and hopefully last for 2-4 years and just replace them again as need. It's still cheaper than buy new ones.
    9K 13X19 inground plaster pool. Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 Pump, Pentair Clean and Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, Hayward Aqua Solar GL 235 Controller, Zodiac MX8 pool cleaner, H2Flo FlowVis Flow meter, 4 4x12 rack mounted solar panels. South Florida pool facing North inside a screen enclosure

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Used Pool Solar Panel sideways layout

It is better to install them like this if you can, Installation Photograph

More here about building a rack, http://shop.solardirect.com/pdf/pool...ackdrawing.pdf

More here about how to plumb a double row if that is what you need to do. http://shop.solardirect.com/pdf/pool...all-manual.pdf

The goal with plumbing solar panels is to put the water in at the bottom and let it out on the top opposite side so that the panel is completely filled at all time. So, in on lower left and out on upper right. Or vice versa.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach